Wackiness with Wizards

Started by Dammit Carl!, January 11, 2023, 06:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dammit Carl!

Not entirely certain folks' view on this topic, but looks like WotC is aiming to revise the OGL created in the days of 3rd Edition (lo, twentysomething years ago) which is the basis of more than one company core product(s).

CJReich46

I was wondering if anyone was following this too.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

CJReich46

Quote from: CJReich46 on January 12, 2023, 12:07:21 AM
I was wondering if anyone was following this too, thanks for posting this Carl.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

ArizonaTank

I have seen quite a bit heat and gnashing of teeth on the paper / boardgame side of the question because of the lock down and apparent cut off of intellectual property from the open-source community. I was wondering how this might affect indie RPG developers on the computer game side, but I haven't seen much discussion on that point yet.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Dammit Carl!

Lordy, the snowballing effect of all of this has now led to Paizo throwing their guantlet down and creating their own OGL as well as the major third party D&D creators cutting bait and going their own route with either TTRPGs of their own or by eschewing 5th edition materials completely.

Good joerb, Hasbro.  Who needed that money anyway?

Sigwolf

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on January 12, 2023, 07:52:08 PMLordy, the snowballing effect of all of this has now led to Paizo throwing their guantlet down and creating their own OGL as well as the major third party D&D creators cutting bait and going their own route with either TTRPGs of their own or by eschewing 5th edition materials completely.

Good joerb, Hasbro.  Who needed that money anyway?
Hasbro has been using "death by a thousand cuts" on D&D for years now.  Apparently, they've now decided to just fully cut off the head.  Damn shame.

JasonPratt

There are certainly several Steam games using the OGL, like Low Magic Age (who were porting the classic Against the Slave Lords module, presumably hoping to segue into the giants and the drow to finish off the trilogy.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Correction: LMA does use the (original) OGL, but doesn't go with the Slaver plot. I'm definitely mixing that up with some other game on Steam, though I don't recall what yet.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Sigwolf on January 13, 2023, 04:32:01 PMWOTC now engaging in some *serious* backtracking.  It's hilarious that they act surprised that this didn't go over well.

"Hmmm...the peasants seem...mad. Hmmm..."

JasonPratt

Incidentally, I found the game using Scourge of the Slave Lords and Against the Giants as its plot basis (excellent choices btw): Knights of the Chalice.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1083760/Knights_of_the_Chalice/

GoG has a small sale on it this weekend, too.

The engine itself is recreated on the basis of one of the last of the Gold Box games, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (which replaced the 3D map travel effect a la Bard's Tale with the top-down combat engine from earlier games), plus some functionality from WotC's computer game based Temple of Elemental Evil (which was of course intended as a jumping off point for users designing their own modules, naturally including old D&D modules.)

KotC2 also exists, with an improved graphical set, isometric top-down 3D, expanded everything, and a module creator built-in. Its adventure, "The Augury of Chaos" is not based on any D&D property I recognize offhand, but the rules are still OGL 3.5. (It shouldn't be the end of the trilogy "Against the Drow", since levels again go from 1 to 21.)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Apparently Call of Cthulhu 7th ed and Warhammer FRP 4th ed saw huge sales increases after the OGL fiasco.

Dammit Carl!

Pathfinder sold like hotcakes and went through all their stocks or somesuch.  Honestly, Hasbro not only stepped on their dicks, they did everything but emasculate themselves in the D&D realm with this move.

Simply amazing.

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on February 01, 2023, 08:48:22 PMPathfinder sold like hotcakes and went through all their stocks or somesuch.

...and now they've put a slew of their 2nd edition goodies out on HumbleBundle for the cheap.  Pdfs, but still.