Second Front (in Development)

Started by Jo B, August 13, 2019, 03:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axeking240

As it currently is, the scenarios are locked in a way to prevent you from trying stuff without haveing a clue how to play.

Initially, there are 2 scenarios for each nationality pair (US vs Germany, Russia vs Germany, Germany vs US, Germany vs Russia - in all cases player side listed first). There are 19 bootcamp tutorials completely unlocked. It is very highly recommended to play all of these scenarios first before playing any of the regular scenarios (or even any from the Steam workshop).

If you watch any videos released by reviewers, you can fairly quickly see who has played the bootcamp and who hasn't. DasTactic has definitely worked through the bootcamps, as has Herzog Sieg (in German).

Scenario unlocking works that you need to complete 2 for that matchup (eg. US vs German) to unlock the next 4, win 2 more to unlock the next 4, and win 4 more to unlock the last 2. They get tougher the further down you go - and you will need to know what you are doing to have a chance... just wait until you try one of the beach landings...  :HideEyes:

The campaigns, as shown above, unlock as soon as you have won 4 scenarios for that matchup. This is because they are tough, and you will not have a clue what to do without getting some practice first...

And I can say that there are a good number of the scenarios and campaigns that will cause you a lot of stress trying to beat. And that's not because the AI cheats - it uses the same rules you do.

The first time I tried one of the landing scenarios, out of the landing force of about 50 squads, I managed to get 6 off the beach... yikes! And thats having a resonable idea of what to do.

So for your enjoyment - learn how to play (do the bootcamps, read the manual) before you get slammed by the competent AI.  :ThumbsUp:

Thomas Davie

@Axeking240 Thank you for the information. I can certainly understand the phased approach to learning the game.

losing will not cause me stress. Finding out that I can't do something or that I am doing it i properly - no, it's my 4x daily dialysis that causes stress.

I'll just have to wait and see if everything becomes unlocked (no restrictions), P .vs. P shows up and we get random maps/scenarios/campaigns before I purchase.

Again, thank you for all the information from the beta.

Tom

Skoop

Man I really wish I had joined the beta.  I snoozed and loosed I guess.

Jarhead0331

This game is going to drive me nuts. I can sense it already. The graphics make it seem deceptively easy and forgiving. it isn't. In fact, it's brutal. It keeps chewing my up and spitting me out...but I keep coming back for more. It definitely has hooks that sink deeply. Prepare yourself. You've been warned.  :guillotine:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

Great! I was hoping for a new version of Combat Mission that I could actually not suck at. Looks like that's not going to happen.  :soapbox:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skoop

I like the brutal challenge as well.  Plus it's turn based so you see everything, like combat mission in classic turn based system.  Wego is more realistic I know, but interesting to have a go at a combat mission depth game in classic turn based.

acctingman

Oh, so this game is pretty brutal huh? I'm not an expert at these sorts of games, so maybe I should hold off until there is a deep sale.

al_infierno

This sounds right up my alley!  I cannot wait  :twirl:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Groggy

I will buy this game just for the stalingrad factory district alone. Pump it directly into my veins.

Well done on the manual!
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Old TImer

Can you set up scenarios between the USA and Russia?  It would be fun to try some immediate post-war stuff.

Sir Slash

I'm thinking the Barbarossa scenarios may be worth the price of admission by themselves. I haven't played a really good one since CMBB.  :ThumbsUp: 
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Skoop

Quote from: gregb41352 on January 23, 2023, 12:42:38 PMCan you set up scenarios between the USA and Russia?  It would be fun to try some immediate post-war stuff.

I was thinking the same thing, like patton goes East.

Jarhead0331

I does not look like this is possible to me. In the scenario editor options, I only see the possibility of matching American v. German or Russian v. German. However, it is not something I've really tried to explore in depth or tinker with.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Old TImer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 23, 2023, 03:42:37 PMI does not look like this is possible to me. In the scenario editor options, I only see the possibility of matching American v. German or Russian v. German. However, it is not something I've really tried to explore in depth or tinker with.

Who am I kidding.  I'll undoubtedly buy the game when it comes out.