Stoner by John Williams

Started by z1812, March 30, 2021, 08:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

z1812

By the sound of the title I presumed this book would be about drugs and/or alcohol. Actually it is the last name of the main Character in the Novel. Stoner is a teenager whose parents own a very poor farm in rural Missouri. The book begins during the first decade of the last century. Through circumstance Stoner ends up attending University. His academic career forms the background to his personal life.

I loved the book. The odd thing is that I am not sure why. The writing is excellent. However excellent writing does not always equal a book being compelling. If anyone else has read this book I would be interested in what they thought about it.

al_infierno

I haven't read this yet, but I have it and Butcher's Crossing on my to-read list.  I do know that Williams is a fantastic writer, so it's not at all surprising that he can make a "book about work" engaging all the way through a full novel. 

I'd recommend checking out Butcher's Crossing if it's not already on your list, for some late 19th century American frontier goodness.

I'll have to bump him up to the top of my list, so thanks for the rec O0
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

z1812

Quote from: al_infierno on April 01, 2021, 04:42:59 PM

I'd recommend checking out Butcher's Crossing if it's not already on your list, for some late 19th century American frontier goodness.

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds quite interesting.

Staggerwing

I clicked on this thread thinking it would be about a guy named Eugene...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys