Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on March 20, 2023, 08:58:05 AM...THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVE!  :RockOn:

:ThumbsUp:

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Sir Slash

A frightening statement by the Polish Ambassador, though I understand his fears and reasoning. Time to get back to building that underground bunker I guess.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

^It should have been ready a year ago!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Skoop

So, I built a beautiful pool in my back yard a couple years ago, but when the Ukraine war kicked off, I was like......man, I should have built a bunker instead. 

Pete Dero

Quote from: Skoop on March 20, 2023, 01:25:15 PMSo, I built a beautiful pool in my back yard a couple years ago, but when the Ukraine war kicked off, I was like......man, I should have built a bunker instead. 

Most of you live in the US and are quit safe.
I live 10 miles from Nato & EU headquarters.  I assume a bunker in my backyard will be quit useless.

Skoop

I'd agree wit
Quote from: Pete Dero on March 20, 2023, 01:38:59 PM
Quote from: Skoop on March 20, 2023, 01:25:15 PMSo, I built a beautiful pool in my back yard a couple years ago, but when the Ukraine war kicked off, I was like......man, I should have built a bunker instead. 

Most of you live in the US and are quit safe.
I live 10 miles from Nato & EU headquarters.  I assume a bunker in my backyard will be quit useless.

I'd agree with you, not sure you could build a bunker deep enough at your location to even help.

Where I live there's military bases everywhere, sandwiched by 3 of them, I might be in The same boat.

Jarhead0331

If this thing escalates to involve NATO and a wider global war, we're all in the same boat. Quite frankly, I would not even want a bunker because what will be left of the world would not be worth living in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Tripoli

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 20, 2023, 02:24:09 PMIf this thing escalates to involve NATO and a wider global war, we're all in the same boat. Quite frankly, I would not even want a bunker because what will be left of the world would not be worth living in.
Is it too early for a Friday thread?
 :evil:
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Skoop

Nuke bunker joking aside, if Poland makes its own incursion into to Ukraine in an effort to help Ukraine on behalf of it's own security, what would nato say ?

I'm guessing article 5 is defensive only and Poland would be on it's own.

Also, would Poland draw belorus into the war, because I know if belorus entered the war now it would bring Poland in.  The threat of Poland escalation might be why belorus has backed off from active involvement.  Poland has been building the largest land army in Europe for a reason.

Skoop

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 20, 2023, 02:24:09 PMIf this thing escalates to involve NATO and a wider global war, we're all in the same boat. Quite frankly, I would not even want a bunker because what will be left of the world would not be worth living in.

No doubt, unless you could somehow make that last flight to Tahiti to finish out your days.

Pete Dero

Quote from: Tripoli on March 20, 2023, 02:30:15 PM
Is it too early for a Friday thread?

Don't forget the most obvious choice :

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Skoop on March 20, 2023, 02:31:03 PMNuke bunker joking aside, if Poland makes its own incursion into to Ukraine in an effort to help Ukraine on behalf of it's own security, what would nato say ?

I'm guessing article 5 is defensive only and Poland would be on it's own.

Correct:

QuoteArticle 5

The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area.

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security.

Article 6

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France, on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;

on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Does the Russian attack on the American drone in the Black Sea not qualify under Article 6?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Silent Disapproval Robot

Poland would be the aggressor in this case based on their rhetoric.  I'd hope my country would say "thanks but we'll sit this one out" but our normally dovish PM is quite the hawk in this specific instance.  It's all very strange.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on March 20, 2023, 03:10:19 PM^Does the Russian attack on the American drone in the Black Sea not qualify under Article 6?

Probably not as I don't think it constitutes an "armed" attack.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog