One Year in Hell (winSPMBT)

Started by AmericanPride, April 15, 2012, 03:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanPride

This AAR follows a Soviet BTR rifle company (+ tank platoon) through one year  (12 battles) in Afghanistan in 1982.

Patkia Province
Meeting Engagement
Attached forces:
- 1x BRDM-2 scout platoon
- 2x ZSU-23 detachments
- 1x 2S3m section

(I decided to do the AAR after I started the battle)

The terrain is mountainous, with only two parallel dirt roads. I decided to use my mobility advantage to seize decisive terrain. I selected three objectives: the center mountaintop (Objective Motherland), the base of the mountain (Objective Stalin), and the mountaintop village (Objective Lenin). Controlling OBJ Motherland would allow me to dominate the battlefield with long fields of fire.

My recon element successfully captured OBJ Lenin, from which it began the engagement targeting Afghan guerrilla elements advancing on the road. I reinforced the recon position with two T-62s, one of which was destroyed by a lucky  RPG shot.

Recon platoon in contact; note the destroyed T-62

As the engagement continued, I established an overwatch position to the SE with the other T-62 detachment with a reserve mech infantry platoon on the road nearby (for exploit and pursuit).

T-62s in overwatch

I then ordered first platoon to attack. The platoon was accompanied by the company commander and a ZSU-23 section. The infantry dismounted at OBJ Stalin and proceeded uphill with the BTRs in the lead.

1st Platoon Advances Uphill

However, the right flank received heavy RPG, sniper, and machine-gun fire from the road, resulting in several casualties. The smoke and debris obscured the line of sight of my two over-watch elements. 1st Squad was fixed in its position, but the smoke allowed 2nd and 3rd squads to continue the advance up the hill. As I attempted to maneuver 1st squad's BTR into a suitable firing position, it received RPG fire and became immobilized in the rough terrain (I also had a BRDM and a ZSU-23 in an overwatch position immobilized). That BTR is the only one facing downhill (how convenient.... ::)) I do not want to outpace my infantry in case there is a hasty ambush at the top of the ridge. My intent is to establish a position there with the ZSUs, and then move up the T-62s in order to flank the Afghan forces on the road. In the meantime, my recon platoon has initiated a fire mission which should be arriving shortly...

The battle continues!

AmericanPride

As the battle continued, much of 1st platoon managed to occupy OBJ Motherland. However, the platoon suffered considerable casualties, including two immobilized vehicles. The company headquarters is fixed in an exposed position at the base of the hill.

1st platoon arrayed on OBJ Motherland, occupying firing positions facing north

The enemy strength proved to be greater than expected, managing to push through the fires of the recon platoon. By closing with the recon platoon, the enemy managed to destroy two T-62s, two BRDM-2s, and disable the other two BRDM-2s. The platoon is now split into two sections, with the first section occupying the village at OBJ Lenin, and the other section to their south, bounding eastward.

The recon platoon on the verge of being overrun; note elements of the reserve platoon occupying positions to the east

As a result of the enemy attack, the remaining T-62 section will maintain its overwatch positions. The reserve platoon has been called up to occupy hilltops just east of OBJ Lenin.

jomni

I am not able to enlarge your screens.  :-\

TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.