Thunderbirds Crash

Started by mirth, April 05, 2018, 02:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

thats a lot of payroll,pensions and medical in that budget.  people seem to forget that.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on April 10, 2018, 08:06:41 PM
thats a lot of payroll,pensions and medical in that budget.  people seem to forget that.

I am sure you're right. But this is still a sad situation for our military fliers to be faced with. You would think there would be a better solution.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

trailrunner

When we evaluate new systems, we usually break it down into operational effectiveness (how lethal is it), operational suitability (mostly reliability and maintainability), and survivability. The emphasis is almost overwhelmingly on effectiveness, and we have to fight tooth and nail to do anything on reliability and maintainability. We rated the F-22 as effective but not suitable because of its reliability problems and high maintenance demands.  Once they heard that it was effective, few people cared about the rest of the story. The F-35 was supposed to be revolutionary with its prognostic health management system and be so reliable, but I doubt that those promises will come true but nobody will care much.  We do this with every program.

For the Hornet fleet - a lot of our systems got worn out over the last 15 or so years of war. They far exceeded their planned peacetime optempo and accumulated more hours than expected. Oddly, at the same time, flight hours stateside are barely adequate to maintain proficiency. Sequestration and the constant cycle of CRs messed up our budgets and ultimately affected our readiness. There's also a culture of "don't tell me about reality - just get it done," including aircraft mx. This pressure comes from the top down. And as the article notes, the Marines are flying some old Hornets.

OJsDad

Quote from: trailrunner on April 10, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
There’s also a culture of “don’t tell me about reality - just get it done,” including aircraft mx. This pressure comes from the top down. And as the article notes, the Marines are flying some old Hornets.

So, you have the same executive management team that was running GE until the middle of last year. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: trailrunner on April 10, 2018, 09:00:48 PM
Sequestration and the constant cycle of CRs messed up our budgets and ultimately affected our readiness.

This is what has really hurt from everything I've been reading.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus