Main Menu

Epic?

Started by Jarhead0331, January 30, 2019, 10:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

This is certainly turning into an 'epic' post.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: trek on January 30, 2019, 07:21:30 PM
JH, thanks for the heads-up on the Epic site. I was very disappointed to hear that Ubi's Division 2 will be on Epic and not Steam. The upcoming game is a must for me as I'm still playing the first one and enjoy the game as an RPG wrapped in a first-person shooter. The big draw for me on the sequel is the Wash. DC setting since it was my home town for 35 years and I know the downtown area like the back of my hand.

To avoid Epic I'll just buy it through the Ubi site since I already have an account there anyway. I was just reading today on Blues News about Metro fans being really pissed about that game going over to Epic too.

Yep The Division 2 is a must for me as well and I'd be furious right now if I'd been planning to play it on PC.  Luckily I want the PS4 version so at least I've dodged that particular bullet.

Grim.Reaper

i downloaded epic a couple months ago, so far no issues for me.  i haven't been signed up for mailing lists nor has anyone try to hack my account or have any unwanted software installed. it certainly is a bare bone client right now but i am sure steam was not full featured either at its start.  personally i have no problem using it and will continue if they have titles i like.  although part of me would like to have everything on one system like steam, having competition is good for pricing and variety.  i am already using other clients like battle.net origin, and uplay so they aren't exactly full featured either.

it was bad for that recent game being sold on steam than moved to epic, but is that all epics fault?  epic just provided the service, the publisher of the game are the ones to move it, likely so they could have more profit and likely a little publicity.

so i am fine with it at the moment....plan to use it if it has things i want.

Gusington

I've also read that Epic has almost none of the features like reviews, achievements, etc., that Steam has.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mbar

^What Gus said. The web page is pretty bare bones. No wishlist. No Games owned list. No categories. But hey, a free game every two weeks.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on January 31, 2019, 08:44:42 AM
I've also read that Epic has almost none of the features like reviews, achievements, etc., that Steam has.

Sure, not yet, but they do say some of that is coming.....Steam didn't have that stuff at launch either, it took them many, many years after launch to get those things.  If Epic sticks around, I have no doubt they will also add a better experience over time, just like Steam did.  Still remember the outrage of Steam when it first came out, people didn't want to use that either, they still wanted stuff on physical CDs/DVDs :)  To me, just another option...certainly a little more risk during their startup phase to see if they have staying power....

Link to Steam history.
https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-versions/

Again, not saying people should or shouldn't use Epic, just saying I haven't really seen anything Epic is doing that is completely different than others have done before like Steam.  Heck, steam also had credit card/user information breach a few years ago and I have received a number of login attempt warnings with my account...just like practically most online places.

Gusington

I wish I could remember where I read all these details about Epic's features. Wherever it was also outlined the business model of Epic and how it differs (negatively) from Steam.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Gusington on January 31, 2019, 09:13:17 PM
I wish I could remember where I read all these details about Epic's features. Wherever it was also outlined the business model of Epic and how it differs (negatively) from Steam.

would be interested to see the business model part since things i have read actually are saying it's better because of increased revenue sharing with the developers, likely the reason some of these publishers are making the move.

who knows in the end and everyone's own choice whether to use,just another option for me....if the price is cheaper and the game is available on steam, sure right now i would buy on steam.  but likewise if the same was true for epic, i would have no issue buying it....same choices i make with origin, uplay, etc.

Jarhead0331

I'm thinking Epic is going to make gains in their market share of users against steam. Their strategy of giving away games througout the year and during the holiday season is very smart. My epic library has been growning dramatically, all without me spending a dime. Then, with the $10 vouchers over Christmas, I even made a few purchases. This, together with their aggressive acquisition of exclusive release rights is going to be effective in making epic much more mainstream. I think the weekly give away is pretty brilliant because a lot of gamers have a growing library of games, and over time, they will naturally become more comfortable with using epic for both purchase and play.

All that said, epic still has a long way to go before it can compete with steam in terms of utility, UI, community features, etc., but I think for some, it's current simplicity is probably seen as a benefit over steam. I find that steams recent facelift is a bit too far in the other direction and it may turn people off. I know I've struggled a little with the newer interface.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FlickJax

How much backing do they have, could they yet fold?

Huw the Poo

Quote from: FlickJax on January 06, 2020, 07:53:38 AM
How much backing do they have, could they yet fold?

I wish, but unlikely.  They develop both the Unreal engine and Fortnite, so basically a license to print money.

Amazing how throwing infinite piles of money at a market gets you a foothold, isn't it?

mbar

I've been adding the free games to my account and Epic is still here so I'm guessing they will do okay. The fact they have THEE game engine of choice with Unreal they have a lot of leverage with developers. I don't think I'd convert fully, especially with Uplay. My plan would be to start buying directly from Uplay if there is a game I want from them.

W8taminute

I'll be honest with you guys in saying that the rise of Epic has me greatly worried.  What if they do knock Steam out of the market?  What happens to all the money we've invested into our games if Steam goes bye bye? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mbar

I don't know. Any game is on a time limit just because technology is constantly moving forward. Remember when running a game at 1024x786 was awesome? So do many older games unfortunately. Just getting an old Gary Grigsby game to function playable now is a trip though Google if you are lucky.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on January 06, 2020, 11:40:13 AM
I'll be honest with you guys in saying that the rise of Epic has me greatly worried.  What if they do knock Steam out of the market?  What happens to all the money we've invested into our games if Steam goes bye bye?

I find this to be highly unlikely. There is certainly room in this industry for competition and Steam has a giant head start. I wouldn't lose sleep.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18