Main Menu

Enter Friday

Started by Anguille, December 03, 2021, 05:14:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

al_infierno

Metal nerding is indeed a dark and thorny rabbit hole that would make even your average grognard shiver with trepidation.   :nerd:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: al_infierno on December 03, 2021, 02:39:26 PM
Metal nerding is indeed a dark and thorny rabbit hole that would make even your average grognard shiver with trepidation.   :nerd:

Enter Sandman is not one of the better Metallica songs (part of a weak album), this singer looks way hotter and Metallica is only the soft version of Slayer  \m/  >:D  :hug:.

Gaming wise more Elite Dangerous.

al_infierno

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 03, 2021, 02:52:32 PM

Enter Sandman is not one of the better Metallica songs (part of a weak album), this singer looks way hotter and Metallica is only the soft version of Slayer  \m/  >:D  :hug:.

Everything you said is 100% true.  I just felt a bit cock-blocked coming into this thread expecting riffs and getting whatever genre that other band plays.  Riff-blocked?   :-"
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: Anguille on December 03, 2021, 12:04:43 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 03, 2021, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on December 03, 2021, 09:13:50 AM
Wow that's a good song and video.  Is that David Caradine doing sign language?  He looks like Kill Bill. 

David Caradine is long dead. He accidentally killed himself at the age of 72 trying to perform autoerotic asphyxiation. What a way to go.
Didn't realise that... ???

Totally forgot about that but now that you mention it I remember hearing about that on the news. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

The black album is one of Metallica's weaker albums? Ok.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2021, 03:06:36 PM

Weak relative to the absolute riff salads that are the first 4 albums.   :coolsmiley:

- MengJiao

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2021, 03:06:36 PM

Their aim with that album was to enter mainstream music– or as the Lars Ulrich said, to "cram Metallica down everybody's fucking throat all over the fucking world."

So for real Metalheads this album is not rough enough, to polished (compared to other like Kill' em All or Master of Puppets).

Gusington

Why shouldn't they want to cram Metallica down everyone's throats? It's their livelihood.

I can understand the 'riff salad' argument better. But either way, I digress.

Conversations like this never get anywhere so I bid you a fond 'ok.'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on December 03, 2021, 02:33:53 PM
Heresy!  Blasphemy!  Vile fiends etc etc.!

There is only one true Enter Sandman!   :tickedoff:
The version here is a reimagination of Metallica's Enter Sandman in celebration of the release of #SoundOfMetal on Amazon Prime

al_infierno

Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2021, 03:27:04 PM
Why shouldn't they want to cram Metallica down everyone's throats? It's their livelihood.

Well, Pete's point is inherently tied to the "riff salad" argument.  Obviously nobody can knock Metallica for wanting to get big and make a living off their music.  But what metal nerds like myself and Pete dislike is when bands water down their music in an intentional effort to create a broader and more mainstream appeal.  So instead of aiming to write killer riffs, they aim to write radio friendly catchy chorusy songs that are not necessarily bad, but not all that great compared to their early stuff.

I'm not trying to convince you not to like Metallica's later stuff BTW, just trying to explain the perspective of why some people view that material as weaker.  :)

Quote from: Anguille on December 03, 2021, 03:34:08 PM
The version here is a reimagination of Metallica's Enter Sandman in celebration of the release of #SoundOfMetal on Amazon Prime

I know, I was just joking.

- MengJiao

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on December 03, 2021, 03:35:28 PM
Quote from: Anguille on December 03, 2021, 03:34:08 PM

I know, I was just joking.
I know what you mean. Wasn't sure if you knew about the show.

al_infierno

Got it O0  I've heard of it but haven't seen it yet.  It's worth catching I gather?

- MengJiao

Anguille

Quote from: al_infierno on December 03, 2021, 03:56:01 PM
Got it O0  I've heard of it but haven't seen it yet.  It's worth catching I gather?
I think it is.

Gusington

I hear you al - and comparatively I can see that the black album is not the same as 1980s Metallica. I can only imagine what you and Dero think of St. Anger...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on December 03, 2021, 04:16:40 PM
I can only imagine what you and Dero think of St. Anger...

Wasn't that their country album ?  :2funny:

The band was close to a brake up at that time so the fact that they even made an album was good news in hindsight.