Elden Ring releases tomorrow

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 23, 2022, 06:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Quote from: glen55 on February 23, 2022, 01:24:02 PM
Dark Souls got great reviews, and after giving it a couple of fair shots, it's safe to say it is Not For Me. So I think I'll wait for the Grogheads review on this.

For most games, though, I'm not really looking for a challenge. I get challenged at work. When I get home, I'm looking for something that will fool me into thinking I'm overcoming a challenge--not an ACTUAL challenge....

^ This.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

al_infierno

Personally I'm unreasonably excited for Dark Souls But With Horsies  :smitten:  :cowboy:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: acctingman on February 23, 2022, 03:04:49 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 23, 2022, 11:10:02 AM
Looks like reviews starting to come......copied this from somewhere so hopefully accurate.  Haven't had time to read them yet.

Eurogamer 'Essential'
Game Informer 10
PCGamesN 10
Fextralife 10
The Guardian 5/5
Kinda Funny 5/5
VG247 5/5
Easy Allies 9.5
Press Start 9.5
RPG Site 9
PC Gamer 90

damn....those are some great scores.

I'm a long time MMO'er. UO, EQ, Rift, WOW, blah...blah

Recently bought New World and what a total complete hunk of dogshit. That game alone has put in the boat of waiting for reviews/bug fixes.

Anywho....going to follow this bad boy and see how things go.

I bought New World too and ended up uninstalling it after 100+ hours of game time.  Took me that long to realize what an empty shell of a game it is. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Seems the main negatives I see so far relate to the performance on the pc although some mention day one patch to correct.  I originally was considering buying on Xbox, hope I didn't choose wrong platform:)

al_infierno

I'm loving it so far, but the performance is really marginal on PC even after the day one patch.  It basically feels like Red Souls Redemption in a dark fantasy version of medieval England - it has the classic Dark Souls combat formula with a more open world, horseback riding, and gathering herbs in the wild.  I had some brief issues with the screen flickering black during boss fights, which killed me during [spoiler]the initial fake-out boss fight and then again in the first real boss fight[/spoiler].  I changed my graphical settings to Low and that resolved the issue, which is a pretty decent workaround for the time being.  Once I did that I kicked the first boss's A$$ with my naked club-wielding cavemen.   :knuppel2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

W8taminute

Quote from: al_infierno on February 24, 2022, 11:48:33 PM
...  It basically feels like Red Souls Redemption in a dark fantasy version of medieval England ...

Haha!  I love that description. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Jarhead0331

Surprised the reviews on Steam are mixed so much.

I presume if you were a hardcore Dark Souls fan, maybe this will not appeal as much? I really disliked Dark Souls, so maybe I will enjoy this one....
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

I wasn't a huge fan of dark souls either so I am about to find out myself.  Unfortunately, didn't get any play time yesterday because it not being released until later in the day, so hopefully this weekend.   I see a ton of issues being reported about controllers not working so if that ends up being the case for me, then it goes on the shelf until fixed since no way I can play with keyboard:)

Yskonyn

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 25, 2022, 09:53:04 AM
Surprised the reviews on Steam are so much.

I presume if you were a hardcore Dark Souls fan, maybe this will not appeal as much? I really disliked Dark Souls, so maybe I will enjoy this one....

One dutch gaming site titled their review (freely translated): "Elden Ring is a big masterpiece, for a small group".
All the combat and boss fight DNA of a souls game, but on the overworld it makes it easier to travel, but in the dungeons its as focused as previous games in the series.

If you didn't like Dark Souls I'd pass on Elden Ring as well.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

^Gonna take your advice on this one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

The mixed reviews seem to mainly revolve around optimization and performance rather than gameplay.

- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Haven't seen any performance issues or problems with controller yet.....but that could be because I can't get very far without being destroyed by the bosses and monsters.  Just as tough as I remember:)  Also not liking where I respawn sometimes.  If I am going to die all the time, I at least want to respawn very close to where I left off, but seems like I have to redo more stuff than I would like.

Fetrik

I'm 4.5 hours in and I have not had any issues so far.
I did reactivate the turbo mode on the cpu which i had to turn off for Warhammer 3 and turned off or lowered
some options just in case to see if it ran ok. I was afraid it would be as bad as wh3.

The game is great so far.

W8taminute

Good to hear that there is no performance issues.  I'm still holding off of WH3 as well due to the rumors of performance issues but I'm glad to see Elden Ring has been running fine for you guys.

al_infierno

After a solid 30-ish hours of playtime according to Steam, I can easily recommend this to anyone who is cautiously interested in the Souls series.  This is by far the most accessible FromSoft title thus far.  If you get frustrated with a boss fight, you can just romp around the open world or find another dungeon and boss to take on - unlike the Souls games where you're pretty much railroaded into specific encounters.  The combat system is still just as brutal as ever (it being obviously based on the Dark Souls engine) but there are more ways to mitigate the brutality, such as horseback combat in the open world.  I can gladly recommend this to anyone who likes the idea of weighty third-person fantasy combat.

- MengJiao