Ubisoft Scrapping Always-On DRM For PC Games

Started by Greybriar, September 05, 2012, 07:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greybriar

According to an interview by Rock, Paper Shotgun, Ubisoft is scrapping its always-on DRM for PC Games.

That's the best gaming news I've heard in quite a while.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MIGMaster

Bison

Long term sales must have tanked on their big name brand titles.

Shelldrake

Except they will probably replace it with something worse.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Anguille

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MarkShot

Shelldrake beat me to it ... maybe StarF*ck 18.03 or something.  If you attempt to install the game on a second PC (or modify the hardware attached on your first), it reflashes with null bytes your motherboard BIOS.  But, of course, if you are not a pirate, why should you be worried?  :)

Huw the Poo

Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic (I would've been all over Anno 2070 if it didn't have that DRM) but I won't believe it until I see it.  It will take more than an interview to win me back.

steve58

I was very close to picking up Anno 2070 during the Summer Steam sale, but held off because of the DRM.  Anyone know if the DRM has been removed from their exisiting games or if this will only affect their games going forward?
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on September 05, 2012, 02:15:53 PM
I was very close to picking up Anno 2070 during the Summer Steam sale, but held off because of the DRM.  Anyone know if the DRM has been removed from their exisiting games or if this will only affect their games going forward?

I would wait until the whole thing is a done deal.  It's Ubi, after all.   I'll believe it when I see it since just one person mentioning it may not indicate a final decision.

After all the bad press, obviously lower sales, and the server/client issues.. I'm surprised it took them so long to even mention the possibility, however.  ::)  I suppose that their F-Up with accidentally installing a major security breach into our OS'es was the final straw that broke the DRM Peddler's back.  Actually, I'm half-convinced that they didn't wanna have to pay for all the upkeep on the stuff for much longer, especially when it gets screwed up like that. 

It never made much sense, spending a bunch of time and money on crazy DRM schemes, when their official reason is to force a relatively small group of people (pirates) to change their ways and give them money.  Dog chasing it's tail, and the only winners in that situation are the DRM Peddlers thriving on publishers' piracy fears.  ::)

Silent Disapproval Robot

Maybe they see it as redundant now that you have to go through their UPlay front end client to play.

GameFly has a decent sale on Ubi titles right now but I refuse to buy anything through GF until they provide access to all the titles I bought via D2D.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 05, 2012, 05:24:37 PM

GameFly has a decent sale on Ubi titles right now but I refuse to buy anything through GF until they provide access to all the titles I bought via D2D.

I'm beginning to believe that it's gone for good.

I'm concerned about the next digital retailer to have a change of ownership, or go under, and the similar loss of property (rentals?) that will disappear along with it.   :-\

Silent Disapproval Robot

Maybe.  Every time I think that they've stopped bringing old D2D titles over, they manage to add another one or two from my list.  I've got 3 holdouts left, only one of which I care about.  Once it's added, I'll use their service again.

Arctic Blast

Actually, this has pretty much been the deal for most new Ubi stuff for the past 6 months or so...activate once, done. I guess they've just stepped out and made it official.