Men of war II

Started by Grim.Reaper, May 05, 2024, 07:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Destraex

Is this the online pvp one?
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Grim.Reaper

Take a look at the link as explains it all.  Includes single player, pvp, multiplayer.

Jump into the biggest and most varied multiplayer mode in franchise history and challenge other players in clashes ranging from 1v1 to 5v5; command a specialized Battalion and find the right synergy with your team-mates; take a more generalist approach with Combined Arms or lead all your nation's units in the Classic Mode, resembling the Men of War: Assault Squad 2 experience. Take competition to the next level in Match-making and Leagues, tweak a wide range of options in custom Lobbies, or play any part of the single-player content in co-op with up to 4 other players.

Jarhead0331

It sounds and looks really good, but I know there was a lot of negative feedback over the demo. Most of the critiques I think focused on the fact that the game strayed too far from the proven MoW formula and had been drastically dumbed-down.  I hope the developers took it to heart. It looks like they did, but we'll see. I'll probably get this.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 06, 2024, 04:41:53 AMTake a look at the link as explains it all.  Includes single player, pvp, multiplayer.

Jump into the biggest and most varied multiplayer mode in franchise history and challenge other players in clashes ranging from 1v1 to 5v5; command a specialized Battalion and find the right synergy with your team-mates; take a more generalist approach with Combined Arms or lead all your nation's units in the Classic Mode, resembling the Men of War: Assault Squad 2 experience. Take competition to the next level in Match-making and Leagues, tweak a wide range of options in custom Lobbies, or play any part of the single-player content in co-op with up to 4 other players.
THanks. Was not able to before from where I was earlier.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

rss334

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 06, 2024, 07:08:28 AMIt sounds and looks really good, but I know there was a lot of negative feedback over the demo. Most of the critiques I think focused on the fact that the game strayed too far from the proven MoW formula and had been drastically dumbed-down.  I hope the developers took it to heart. It looks like they did, but we'll see. I'll probably get this.

As a Gates of Hell owner, I'm not promoting gates of hell over men of war 2, but I've been unable to find any reason as to why I would want to buy this game already owning gates of hell.  Why would I, I mean for serious?

Jarhead0331

I agree...its hard to imagine a game that maximizes the power of the system better than Gates of Hell.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Skoop

I said that exact same thing to my son who has 300hours on steam playing gates of hell.  His response was, I love rts, and if it's similar to gates of hell, I'm in.

Grim.Reaper

Saw someone mention release price will be $44.99, no idea if any release discount.  If true, that is probably too high for me as not sure I have ever played the series for long.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 14, 2024, 04:47:37 AMSaw someone mention release price will be $44.99, no idea if any release discount.  If true, that is probably too high for me as not sure I have ever played the series for long.

You're totally going to break down and get this. Don't even try to resist.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

rss334

Somewhere along the line I picked up Homeworld 2 on epic store for free.   Never played it.  Yet I'm somehow tempted to add homeworld 3 to my collection of un-played games  :idiot2:

Wrong post disregard. Regarding men of war 2, not even tempted - only played a couple hours of gates of hell so far but unlike homeworld i'm not even tempted by MOW2.  weird

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 14, 2024, 05:21:52 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 14, 2024, 04:47:37 AMSaw someone mention release price will be $44.99, no idea if any release discount.  If true, that is probably too high for me as not sure I have ever played the series for long.

You're totally going to break down and get this. Don't even try to resist.

Not on release, maybe a future sale.

Grim.Reaper

Developer did confirm pricing to be the following, although no mention of release discount.

$44.99 USD / £37.99 GBP / €44.99 EUR

al_infierno

Mixed reviews so far, though a lot of the negative ones have very little playtime.  Seems to be always online and people are experiencing network lag in singleplayer, but bizarrely enough the devs have said this is only temporary for launch.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Jarhead0331

My initial impressions are generally positive. I don't have a lot of play time and I have only run through about 9 of the tutorial missions.

That said, a few things seem clear.  Its a very big game with a lot of content that affords the player with a lot of different ways to experience the game. Generally, if you like the MoW series, I think there is a very good chance you will enjoy this, as well. I would place it somewhere between MoW Assault Squad and Gates of Hell. It certainly is not as gritty and apocalyptic as GoH can be, but there is space in the series for something like this new title too. The terrain, effects, models, etc. all look very good, although in some respects, not as realistic as what we see in GoH. The sounds are really good, but the voice acting is pretty bad. The tutorials are a mixed bag in terms of accent and language appropriateness to the nationality being played. I hope this changes in the actual battles, campaigns, etc. I have seen some complaints about the UI, but I personally really like it. I think the UI from the series needed a refresh and this does it nicely. The images representing commands are very bright and clear and pretty intuitive for the most part. I also really love some of the UI that the game has for showing line of sight, weapon impacts and effects. Visual cues that identify impacts, penetrations, crew kills and damaged components are very cool.

The action and vehicle movement in the tutorials is fast. Somewhat too fast. I understand there are two modes that can be used to play the game...classic and realism. I hope the realism mode has some impact on the speed of unit movement. Otherwise, I hope it can be slowed down, but it is not something I have explored. People will mod the shit out of this game, like they have the other titles, so I expect to see tons of user content, maps, armies, etc. I think people will create content that converts the game to many different things so that it can be played however you want it to be played. That's the beauty of the GEM or GEM type engine.

Many of the complaints seem to be over the fact that at launch, online is required, even for SP. I really don't care about this and don't see it as a reason to review bomb the game. I mean, whose computer is on in 2024 without being connected to the internet? The devs have said it is temporary, in any event.

I look forward to playing around more in the coming days and over the weekend!  :ThumbsUp:

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog