Ren Faire rock

Started by MetalDog, March 14, 2015, 10:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

First off, who knew there was such a thing?  Second, after listening to this, who the *uck is buying this stuff?!?!  And third, when you look old enough to be everyone's grandpa, don't you think it's time to hang it up there Ritchie?  Or at least go back to Deep Purple and bang out a new album?  Oh, and I think he's married to the blonde singer.  Good job by him.

The comments section is a mess, but, the two best are:

QuotePersonally this group's talent and creativity is far superior to Deep Purple and Rainbow but does not diminish my liking for either.

and

QuoteDavid Coverdale is looking a lot more attractive these days, and his voice got higher too.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Staggerwing

The blond is Candice Night and, yes, she is married to Blackmore.

I've been listening to Blackmore's Night for a while now. I even have a Pandora Station for them.  ;)

(BTW, they have been playing since the late 90's.)

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

I'm not against a folksy sound.  Hell, one of my all time favorites is Jethro Tull and all their varied takes on folk.  I just hope that 'The Moon is Shining,' is not representative of their sound.  It seems awfully cheesy.

GDS_Starfury

and you are man that knows his cheese!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

MetalDog

I will own that.  I have a high tolerance and well defined liking for certain types of cheese.  I just don't think Blackmore's Night is going to be part of it.

Staggerwing

Try this song instead. It's a better example of what I like about Blackmore's Night:

Think of it as an Anglo-Saxon version of what made the Celtic Revival Sound great, with a little more emphasis on electric instruments on most songs.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

MetalDog

Quote from: Staggerwing on March 14, 2015, 11:10:22 AM
Try this song instead. It's a better example of what I like about Blackmore's Night:

Think of it as an Anglo-Saxon version of what made the Celtic Revival Sound great, with a little more emphasis on electric instruments on most songs.

That seems more on point for what I was expecting.  Upbeat and more, 'traditional,' sounding.  'The  Moon Is Shining,' sounds much more contrived and derivative to me.  I won't turn it off if it comes up, but I would have to be in a mood to go search it out.  Thanks for the different view.

Cyrano

One of the grim, dark secrets of Ren Faires and their participants is that it's a weird narcotic that is awfully hard to walk away from.

I did 14 years, eight years as the head bad guy, here in middle America and saw a lot of ladies and gents that just couldn't seem to let go, even though their bodies (and brains) had long yielded on them.  To be honest, I still miss it from time to time, but know walking away was the right thing.

As to the musical styling, this was very much on trend with what Tull was up to at the same time.  Remember "A" and even "Broadsword and the Beast"?  Heck, Gordon Lightfoot released "East of Midnight".  Doesn't make it good, but it does help it to be understood.

Besides, they all seemed to want to figure out how Zeppelin could talk about Mordor and the Misty Mountains and still be that cool.  One must, however, love the double-guitar styled as a lute...

Best,

Jim
"Cyrano"
:/7)
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw a group called Boiled in Lead about a decade ago.  Kind of an odd mixture of Celtic/Acadian music fused with punk/glam rock.  It was alright.

Then there's the moderately hot nerdy fiddling chick who hangs out an Ren Faires and just plays The Gael over and over again.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 14, 2015, 12:59:18 PM

Then there's the moderately hot nerdy fiddling chick who hangs out an Ren Faires and just plays The Gael over and over again.

Being it's her you know I had to FTFY  ;)

bayonetbrant

seems to be a lightly de-celtified/folkied branch of Celtic rock like the Young Dubliners or Seven Nations, both of whom I actually like

(actually a cover of an Uninvited song)

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers