Russia's War Against Ukraine

Started by ArizonaTank, November 26, 2021, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: MOS:96B2P on July 23, 2022, 02:02:27 PM
Interesting article.  Below are a few lines from the article.   

During the counteroffensive in the Kherson region, the Ukrainian Armed Forces encircled three battalion tactical groups of the Russian Army, including a special forces (VDV) company and a tank company. Up to 2,000 Russian troops are in the operational encirclement near the village of Vysokopillya.

Russian troops are also facing encirclement near the village of Arkhanhelske, where the Ukrainian military successfully crossed the Ingulets River threatening Russian positions on the left bank.

https://uawire.org/more-than-1-000-russian-troops-encircled-by-ukrainian-forces-in-kherson-region#

With all the fresh prisoners coming in, I think there's a win for the US here. Incarcerate them in the US, the private sector prisons get a boost and the Ukraine doesn't have to look after them.
The POWs in US prisons will be happy as pigs in mud because ... hey the US!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

W8taminute

Don't know how accurate this is but there have been Twitters showing a large amount of the bear's armored vehicles on trains supposedly heading for UKR. 

Anyone here who is good at Twitter-fu that can confirm?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

Great idea Windy! The Russkies could stay in the U.S. while they wait for their mothers to come pick them up. While they're here, they could be exposed to the truth about what's going on in their country. Vlad would NEVER trust them to go back into combat after that. And if they did, they would surrender right away to get to come back again.  Win,win,win.  :bd:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Con

First good researched paper on the impact of sanctions on the Russian economy for those stats and data nerds out there.
To sum up its looking brutal for Russia

https://yale.app.box.com/s/7f6agg5ezscj234kahx35lil04udqgeo

Crossroads

Quote from: Con on July 26, 2022, 10:43:38 PM
First good researched paper on the impact of sanctions on the Russian economy for those stats and data nerds out there.
To sum up its looking brutal for Russia

https://yale.app.box.com/s/7f6agg5ezscj234kahx35lil04udqgeo

Bumped into this Foreign Policy article on the same topic, must be based on the same research you posted. A tad shorter read, with same conclusions.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/07/22/russia-economy-sanctions-myths-ruble-business/
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

JasonPratt

One surprising stat I got from that Foreign Policy article, is that the 5 million workers of global businesses in Russia represent 12% of Russia's workforce.

100x5/12 = 41.6667 - 5 = Russia has only ~36,670,000 workers in its native businesses. (The article itself doesn't make this point, but it's interesting for important context.) I can't tell from this stat how many of the workers in each category are from Russia itself or from other nations, but presumably the overwhelming majority are Russian either way.

No wonder their GDP was about like Florida's, back before the invasion!  :o

(And those 5 million global business workers, wherever they came from, represented about 40% of Russia's GDP, according to the article.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

American made howitzer shell?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

M5 rocket propelled...

Wait. Are howitzer shells rocket propelled nowadays? Feel like I should have known that already.  ???
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

GDS_Starfury

ya theyve been around forever but this is first proof Ive seen of them in Ukraine service.
stockpile came from Norwegian supplies.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Crossroads

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 28, 2022, 07:19:53 AM
M5 rocket propelled...

Wait. Are howitzer shells rocket propelled nowadays? Feel like I should have known that already.  ???
Could be a RAP round seems those are provided to Ukraine too. A M549 for instance?

Edit as GDS_Starfury answered, a RAP round it is. A quick google results with hits for M795 and M549 RAP rounds since around May ...

Good catch I have not seen one either!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Polish Air Force getting a big boost.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

OK Star. How much did you charge that guy for that big-ass rocket/shell? And why aren't WE part of your, 'pipeline'?  ;)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.