This friday, you're a shooting star

Started by Anguille, April 13, 2017, 03:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

airboy

Very little gaming for me.  I have to go out of State to support my wife making end of life decisions for her parents. Most everyone goes through this and Easter makes it a little easier.

jamus34

Quote from: airboy on April 14, 2017, 09:10:37 PM
Very little gaming for me.  I have to go out of State to support my wife making end of life decisions for her parents. Most everyone goes through this and Easter makes it a little easier.

Damn man...not sure anything makes it a little easier.

Wishing the best for you and family.
Insert witty comment here.

Sir Slash

My wife and I have had to deal with that subject with her mother and step-father and it is very tough. We tried to keep in mind what we would want for ourselves and what they would want us to do for them and how they would want to be treated in final days here. Give everybody some time to get over the shock and the painful subject, and then most people will generally come to some common thoughts and feelings of the best way to work together to do what is really in the best interest of the ones most affected. Prayers for you and your loved ones now Airboy.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on April 14, 2017, 10:59:55 AM
I been busy helping Cesar whip-up on Pompey in Alea Jacta Est where we just landed in Asia Minor and found Pompey's whole army waiting for us. Who talked dammit? Anyway, my Boy Julius pulled-out a win against a much larger army as you can see in the screenie. After this close call, I'm taking a break for something a little less frightening like real life this weekend. And maybe some Easter Egg hunting. Happy Easter and Passover to all my Grog Brothers.

Congrats!  Another game I have on my desktop that I have not played.

Toonces

I know relevant this season is for you from our conversations online over the years. 

I wish you and your family the best, and I'm glad that you and yours can get some comfort from Easter and all it represents.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I played the crap out of WOFF tonight.  My goodness, but now I can see why those guys had such a short lifespan.

So I went through about 5 different pilots tonight.  On the last go-through, I had re-enlisted, again, as a German mid-rank fighter pilot flying for Jasta Bolke, Jasta-2.  I was on my third mission, and everything was lining up just right, and this Brit pilot pulls right into me, from a ways out, not like fangs out just yet.  I mean, I was even trying to avoid the collision!

I'm going to turn perma-death off for a while.  I'm trying to fly through Bloody April, but damn, it is a bit too bloody!

So, I flew about 20 sorties, but haven't really accomplished much.  The game is hella-hard.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

FarAway Sooner

Crap, I'm sorry.  That's a decision we had to make with my mom just before Christmas 2 years back.  Never easy, but you and your wife are in my thoughts and prayers.

FarAway Sooner

Doing me a little PBEM Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided with a buddy.  Trying frantically to mobilize the Russian reserves before the German Hammer lands on me (it's currently Winter 1940 and France is set to fall in the Spring--and then I suspect I'm up next on the appetizer list!).  Hopefully a Yugoslavian coup will distract the Germans for one or two turns more...

Also planning to do a little Stellaris at some point.  But if I crack it open right now, I'm not going to bed until far too late for a family weekend!

trailrunner

I'm dealing with similar issues with my mother.  Not quite end-of-life yet, but for the last two years it's been a succession of issues that are leading to an inevitable conclusion.  Yes, it's something that many of us go through.  At my age, my conversation with my peers is as much about the state of our parents as it is about our children.

Between taking care of my mom this weekend and getting caught up on my life after being TDY for over two weeks, I'll be lucky if I get 15 minutes for my game.  I'm almost done with an ASL scenario that I need to play out.

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on April 15, 2017, 12:10:11 AM
I played the crap out of WOFF tonight.  My goodness, but now I can see why those guys had such a short lifespan.

So I went through about 5 different pilots tonight.  On the last go-through, I had re-enlisted, again, as a German mid-rank fighter pilot flying for Jasta Bolke, Jasta-2.  I was on my third mission, and everything was lining up just right, and this Brit pilot pulls right into me, from a ways out, not like fangs out just yet.  I mean, I was even trying to avoid the collision!

I'm going to turn perma-death off for a while.  I'm trying to fly through Bloody April, but damn, it is a bit too bloody!

So, I flew about 20 sorties, but haven't really accomplished much.  The game is hella-hard.

I recall having to always be ready to run, and having to keep the SA required to make that decision early enough, in WOFF.   :smitten:

Seemed like the player's AI flight buddies would often scatter and run after getting attacked too.  So getting too greedy & sticking around for long can quickly get you outnumbered in a dogfight too. 

Kushan

Would have said it be a lot of Stellaris until last night/very early this morning. Had a great ironman game going. Set the game up with 2-3 advanced AI starts and had it set to no advanced neighbors. Well apparently no advanced neighbors means that they can still be on the next spiral arm in a spiral galaxy. Of course I would get a superior in every category for me as a neighbor, even with the setting turned off (Can you tell I'm a bit bitter?  >:(). And of course they hated my guts, but they seemed to be content with ignoring me, so I just went about my business. Things were going pretty well, was up to 9-10 colonies, tech was starting to get rolling, and my fleet strength was coming up. That's when I decided to pick off a small 3 system empire to my north. They were rivals, they were weak compared to me. Year or so after I declare war, Advanced neighbor decided they've had enough of me and declares war on me. Decided they don't want all of my empire, just 3/4 of it, including my homeworld. Show up in my sensor range with a fleet of 5k. With my fleet of 2k+ by this point wasn't even worth continuing and I rage quit and deleted the save. Really hate staying up till the early hours of the morning just for a game to give me the middle finger. After that I wen't and cooled off before bed by playing with HVPs and lasers in the CMANO internal beta.

Today and the rest of the weekend is likely to be more CMANO. Mainly trying to finish up my Operation El Dorado, 1986 scenario, with generous amounts of The Division, Ghost Recon, and Steel Division thrown in.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

I had to stop playing with advanced empires in Stellaris. No matter how I worked the selections, they ALWAYS Ended up next to me, always hate me and always attack with like a 4K fleet when my combined ships would make a 2k. Now, everyone starts at the same tech and the advanced empires are at zero.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

After this I'm probably done with them. The one area I feel Stellaris is still lacking is control over the game set up. I'd really like something similar to Distant Worlds and have the ability to actually set the starting tech/size of advanced empires, more fine control over where in the galaxy empires start, etc. I'd even like to be able to set up all those things for the player. There's probably a mod that does this but I haven't looked.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Rayfer

Quote from: mikeck on April 15, 2017, 01:24:38 PM
I had to stop playing with advanced empires in Stellaris. No matter how I worked the selections, they ALWAYS Ended up next to me, always hate me and always attack with like a 4K fleet when my combined ships would make a 2k. Now, everyone starts at the same tech and the advanced empires are at zero.

I had the same experience...set them at zero now.