Let's Talk: Wargame or Not

Started by Bison, May 21, 2013, 11:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well I'd say it safe to call Hearts of Iron a wargame.  Europia Universalis could be but I'm not sure that it's military focus is high enough to qualify, but the arguement could be made for it to qualify.

Never played Superpower. 

Star Wars Rebellion - I'm inclined to say yes.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Staggerwing on May 24, 2013, 06:33:17 AM
Quote from: Bison on May 22, 2013, 07:43:07 AM
It convinced me.  Chess is a wargame.

What about Stratego?

Yes it is.  It's not a very good one, but I think you have to call it a wargame as it hits at least as many of the 'wargame checks' as Chess does.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Hmm...I'm not sold on Stratego.

jomni

Stratego is blind chess.  No luck factor involved there.  It just has a realistic element of Fog of War added (that most other board wargames don't have).

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on May 24, 2013, 01:15:08 PM
Hmm...I'm not sold on Stratego.

I'm curious why not - no way you could consider Chess a wargame and Stratego not a wargame.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

I guess I always felt like Strageto was really more about random chance of how you lined up your pieces.  I guess there is a strategy of sorts, but not much.  But to be fair it's been nearly 30 years since I've played.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on May 24, 2013, 10:27:55 PMI guess I always felt like Strageto was really more about random chance of how you lined up your pieces.

lining up your pieces is completely non-random.

Quote from: Bison on May 24, 2013, 10:27:55 PMI guess there is a strategy of sorts, but not much.
80-90% of the strategy is in your initial deployment.  A good setup, and the other guy has a loooooong row to hoe to beat you.  But you still have to execute.

Quote from: Bison on May 24, 2013, 10:27:55 PMBut to be fair it's been nearly 30 years since I've played.

Dust it off and give it a try.  Honestly, I think with 2 simple rules fixes, it could be a much, much more enjoyable game by giving the players some asymmetric capabilities.  I'll open a new thread for this one in the tabletop area.

Bison

I think racing might be a wargame even if it doesn't have any weapondy at all.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on June 05, 2013, 08:40:55 AM
I think racing might be a wargame even if it doesn't have any weapondy at all.

But the best racing games incorporate weapons.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

I often find myself thinking if only this car had a pair of Ma Deuces mounted; I'd be winning.

Bison

It is of my opinion that the best wargames on the market are HPS/JTS developed.  How about them apples?

GJK

Quote from: Bison on June 15, 2013, 12:35:16 PM
It is of my opinion that the best wargames on the market are HPS/JTS developed.  How about them apples?

If only the graphics were updated and more screen resolutions were available (along with more zoom levels) they could be so much better.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

airboy

Stratego is a wargame.

So is Jagged Alliance 2.