Massive Chalice and gay marriages

Started by undercovergeek, June 07, 2013, 07:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on June 07, 2013, 09:21:10 AM
I think not wanting gay characters forced on us in our games doesn't make one ignorant or intolerant.

I hope you didn't misunderstand me - I mean ignorance and intolerance on the part of the gay community overreacting to the omission of gay marriage in a medieval historical relationship sim.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 07, 2013, 11:10:00 AM
Actually, CK made it an undesirable trait, which likely ruffled a few feathers. So far, I don't recall seeing homosexuality in CKII, but I might just not have noticed it under all the millions of modifiers they have.

ive had a lesbian queen or two - not in the biblical sense i hasten to add

and +1 to bboyer

Tamas

CK2 has the Homosexual trait, it gives a relation penalty IIRC, at least for males. Hell, you even have an event chain for having two homosexual wifes as a muslim.  ;D

This game is a fantasy one right? So I don't care what they are putting into it. I don't like if they get to waste time on something they didn't want to deal with, but if it actually gets them more sales if they do it, more power to them.

Sir Slash

Apologies Longblade for taking your intent wrongly. And love your picture of the Chinese patriot facing-off the tank.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 07, 2013, 10:30:57 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 07, 2013, 07:47:34 AM
Why stop at gay marriage?  What about interracial marriage?  What about marriage between cats and dogs?  Let's just placate every potential special interest group for the sake of political correctness.  Heck, we wouldn't want to offend anybody by standing up for morality.

This is, IMHO, a poor line of argument. Homosexual marriages do not compare to man-animal sexual relations - one is two, consenting, adult humans and the other is between a human and a non-consenting (by legal and philosophical definitions, animals cannot consent), non-sentient, animal. Slippery slope arguments are almost always fallacious and incorrect, because we CAN and DO draw a line (we are rational beings). Besides, whose "morality" are we standing up for here? The Judeo-Christian one, which looks to a book that says it is absolutely acceptable to have slaves, beat your wive/s, have multiple wives, and have concubines? Not everyone agrees with that.

I agree with this 100%.  Very well said.

Bison

So those who support gay marriage have the right to impose their morality on others?  Huh.  Who knew.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2013, 12:40:14 PM
So those who support gay marriage have the right to impose their morality on others?  Huh.  Who knew.

No more than religious people have the right to impose their morality. I think the sword cuts both ways.

But again, I don't think Double Fine wants to force you to have gay characters, just give you the option. If you don't want to do it, think it is "amoral" or what have you, don't click the "Marry a Dude" button. And I sincerely hope that it IS a "Marry a Dude" button. Knowing Tim Schafer, it will be something like that.

As I said, though, I don't know how they can organically work that into a dynastic sim. Seems like a waste of time.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bison

However one is more right than the other when it comes to devotees of modern political correctness.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Bison on June 07, 2013, 12:50:28 PM
However one is more right than the other when it comes to devotees of modern political correctness.

Bingo ...
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

PanzersEast

Well in the end to the Vikings you are all equally dead.... now your gold if you don't mind.

PE

Windigo

Whats the freaking fuss? Would I in a RPG give a rat's ass if one of the options for my character was gay??? Come on? Really?!! You are getting all pissy about an option. Which in game terms means its not compulsory to click it ... its a choice a player would make.

I think this arguement was poorly framed to begin with...  MMORPGs have had its share of WTF?

So has FPS' that have moves in it that feign teabagging for that matter
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Wolfe1759

As it is a fantasy game, rather than a historical simulation I don't really see any problem with allowing gay or any other type of marriage.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

undercovergeek

you misunderstand - its not that its there, will be there, might be there - its that it was never going to be until it was brought to the devs attention that his game wasnt representing a certain group of players and now he feels he has to

undercovergeek

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on June 07, 2013, 01:26:11 PM
As it is a fantasy game, rather than a historical simulation I don't really see any problem with allowing gay or any other type of marriage.

even one that the dev describes as a bloodline-hand me down-ancestoral game?

Windigo

*shrug* maybe he just never thought of it until it was pointed out to him
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.