Planetary Annihilation on Steam for...

Started by Jarhead0331, June 13, 2013, 01:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

It looks like a run of the mill RTS...  I predict it's $4.99 shovelware for the '14 Xmas Steam sale.  Gotta love capitalism.  Think I'll wait.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: ArizonaTank on June 15, 2013, 06:48:16 AM
It looks like a run of the mill RTS...  I predict it's $4.99 shovelware for the '14 Xmas Steam sale.  Gotta love capitalism.  Think I'll wait.

If they pull it off, and it is a big IF, this one could be something different. It allows for taking a battle beginning on one planet and sending forces to another planet, moon, or asteroid and using this as a staging ground to get the upper hand. Their prototype idea is that you could even build jets on asteroids to use them as giant orbital missiles (destroying planets in the process).

The $90 thing is a reflection of their Kickstarter, which had similar pricing for Alpha access, bundled with a lot of premium extras. Many people did sign up at that level - according to the KS page around 5000+ backers (although with the Kickstarter you got extra goodies, no idea with Steam). Basically it looks like they are just offering a fairly popular option on Steam, since they were Greenlit. I don't think they intend to sell the game at this level and it is purely on one's own volition if you think $90 is worth alpha access. Myself, I backed the game on KS at the $20 level. So I get the game when it releases and spent $70 less than the alpha folks. I feel that was good value, IMHO.

I agree with Bison, however. I'm getting tired of alpha and beta level things showing up as "new releases."
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Zulu1966

"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

son_of_montfort

Just FYI, the Steam page has a statement from the devs. They say that the price for Early Access will reduce the closer it gets to Beta and then release. Again, a weird practice, but it did pay off for them in the Kickstarter.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Faux

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 18, 2013, 10:54:46 AM
Just FYI, the Steam page has a statement from the devs. They say that the price for Early Access will reduce the closer it gets to Beta and then release. Again, a weird practice, but it did pay off for them in the Kickstarter.

Kickstarter is great, but people really should get out of the habit of buying in to betas.

bboyer66

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bboyer66 on June 18, 2013, 11:27:44 AM
Its only $60 at their own store.... weird

https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4#moreinfo

Different edition, I think. The one on steam is the Galactic edition, which is the same price on their store.

Quote from: Faux on June 18, 2013, 11:03:56 AM

Kickstarter is great, but people really should get out of the habit of buying in to betas.

Well, Kickstarter has some huge negatives as well. In a way it's like people buying into theoretical betas!

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Cougar_DK

Not that I really care, you can join if you want...
-Men do not quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

bboyer66

Quote from: son_of_montfort on June 18, 2013, 11:45:32 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on June 18, 2013, 11:27:44 AM
Its only $60 at their own store.... weird

https://store.uberent.com/Store/PreOrder?titleId=4#moreinfo

Different edition, I think. The one on steam is the Galactic edition, which is the same price on their store.

Well, Kickstarter has some huge negatives as well. In a way it's like people buying into theoretical betas!

Nope its the same edition and they just (since I entered my post) raised the price to 90 dollars at their store.... WEIRD

Arctic Blast

Buying in to Betas is much more widespread than Kickstarter releases.

I typically don't see anything wrong with it, since you're usually paying less to gain access to Alpha/Beta versions. Meanwhile, those early buy-ins keep the money flowing to the developer while they work.

jomni

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 18, 2013, 06:13:51 PM

I typically don't see anything wrong with it, since you're usually paying less to gain access to Alpha/Beta versions. Meanwhile, those early buy-ins keep the money flowing to the developer while they work.

Yeah but this is counter the trend.  More expensive than retail. 

Arctic Blast

Quote from: jomni on June 19, 2013, 02:22:50 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 18, 2013, 06:13:51 PM

Yeah but this is counter the trend.  More expensive than retail.

Oh, this one makes absolutely no sense to me at all. Very strange.

son_of_montfort

Well, that's because it is following Kickstarter rules rather than pre-order rules. In a KS, you pay as much as you feel you want to support the developers. Some people will pay multiple times more than the MRSP just to show their support, make sure something gets made, and get a few meaningless special goodies (unless you are talking about boardgame KS, then the extra goodies can be quite substantial).

But, IMHO, this translates poorly to Steam and an online store. Paying over 4 times the retail price for some extra commander options and a headstart is a bit low value.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert