CK 2 free copy for the first Groghead

Started by Yskonyn, August 02, 2013, 09:42:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 04:54:20 PM
hes scottish - different story for them, when they werent busy hitting each other with sticks and rocks they were having their ass kicked by us  :P
fracking OUCH!
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

I dunno how much CK2 would appeal to you, in that case.  Perhaps if you enjoy Game of Thrones, then you could load up the GoT mod and go that route? *shrug*

JudgeDredd

Love Game of Thrones! Can't wait for the 4th series.

I appreciate people trying to help - I really do. And as I said, I'd like to enjoy the game as it was gifted to me...but it's something I know absolutely zilch about...and that's a new thing for me.

Most games or genres I've had a look into...but never dynasties...never.
Alba gu' brath

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Nefaro on August 31, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
I'm a bit surprised JD doesn't know much about the medieval period.  I had just assumed everyone here did.  :o

I don't know anything about any time period!

Toonces

Hmmm.  Well this is a tough one.  In general, I would say that CK2 is worth investing some time in if you have even a passing interest in medieval stuff.  It's a great game, but hard to understand at first.  We had a thread a while back with Gusington about this.  My approach was to sit down and watch about 4 hours of one guy's tutorial videos and that really helped me get the gist of the game.

Also, I didn't know squat about dukes and stuff until I started my Pendragon RPG in the RPG forum here.  In a nutshell, and I might have this somewhat wrong:

Earl: someone that owns one territory.
Duke: someone that owns two territories.  Basically you take two territories and combine them into a duchy, like take two earldoms and combine them into a duchy.  So a Duke outranks an Earl.
I don't know the next up from Duke, I guess it's King or Queen.

A vassal is somebody that is under you in the chain of command.  So if you are a Duke, the people that run your properties are your vassals; the earls of your combined duchy earldoms are vassals which means you're their boss in some way.

Your court are people that are associated with you; some have jobs like Chaplain and Chancellor.  Others I'm not sure, they're like hangers-on or something; people that are part of your inner "club" but don't have a job.  A lot of ladies are like this. 

Women are like currency.  You marry your daughters off to the most senior person that will accept them, hopefully in a kingdom you have aspirations to.  If your daughter marries a King and the King dies, you might have a minor claim to some or all of the kingdom that you can use to press a "du jure" claim.  You have to have a reason to declare a war and this would be one of them. 

Really, you need to watch the tutorial videos to get all of this, but that's the quick run down.

It's a great game.  Hopefully it will grab you, but you can't just "figure it out" without some help.  It's very complex.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

I'd propose that he maybe just load up the Game Of Thrones mod for CK2, and perhaps that would be easier for him to get into, and pick up on, the gameplay. 

It's basically just scheming your direct blood relations into more power/prestige/money/whatevah by various, sometimes dastardly, ways.  The reason a GOT mod fits CK2 so well.

JudgeDredd

Thanks.

I'll watch the tutorial videos.

As an "opener" - with this Scottish territory of mine I was likely to lose to England - as I said the guy in charge of the territory was married but didn't have any kids and the heir was the son of the guy who owns Northumberland in England - what would be the options to NOT losing that territory?

I guess I'd want the guy to have kids - but I can't make them. So what? Maybe find him a new wife and kill his current wife (I noticed his wide was twice his age iirc)?Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse? What about replacing him? Can you do that? Who to choose? Simply a younger person?

Like I said - I think I need to watch some videos.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

On another note (given I mistakenly thought (through my own dumbness) that I was getting EUIV) - I downloaded the demo and was rather disappointed to see that the same old same old of attacking a province and having those armies going into another province - and then you having to chase them all over the place - is still there.

So I think it's rather unlikely I'll get EUIV anywhere in the near future.

In my brief game of it, it seems to actually fit with one of those games I mentioned somewhere (in the Sins of a Solar Empire thread) where the process just goes too fast - especially combat. You find out you're under attack and before you seem to be able to react, you're units are in full retreat.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse?

oh man are you playing the wrong game!

channel the Henry VIIIth in you JD - feel him suuuuuuuuuurge through your veins

and kill the beeeeatch

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:17:13 AM
Thanks.

I'll watch the tutorial videos.

As an "opener" - with this Scottish territory of mine I was likely to lose to England - as I said the guy in charge of the territory was married but didn't have any kids and the heir was the son of the guy who owns Northumberland in England - what would be the options to NOT losing that territory?

I guess I'd want the guy to have kids - but I can't make them. So what? Maybe find him a new wife and kill his current wife (I noticed his wide was twice his age iirc)?Does she have to be killed? Are there other options for getting rid of a spouse? What about replacing him? Can you do that? Who to choose? Simply a younger person?

Like I said - I think I need to watch some videos.

You can also ask the Pope to annul your marriage, if you've accumulated enough piety and your relationship with him is good. 

But yeah, I usually begin a Plot to kill ye olde wifey if she's not kicking out any children.  As an added bonus, after she's gone, you may be able to get an advantageous new marriage to gain a new ally or place any future children in a position to inherit foreign territory.

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 02, 2013, 01:27:37 AM
On another note (given I mistakenly thought (through my own dumbness) that I was getting EUIV) - I downloaded the demo and was rather disappointed to see that the same old same old of attacking a province and having those armies going into another province - and then you having to chase them all over the place - is still there.

So I think it's rather unlikely I'll get EUIV anywhere in the near future.

In my brief game of it, it seems to actually fit with one of those games I mentioned somewhere (in the Sins of a Solar Empire thread) where the process just goes too fast - especially combat. You find out you're under attack and before you seem to be able to react, you're units are in full retreat.

The 'pinballing armies' has been improved in CK2.  It's easier to catch them, and eventually whittle them down to nothing.  But the big improvement, with them bouncing around everywhere after a defeat, has come in EU4 where they do a "broken retreat" to a specific friendly or allied province a good distance away.  The welcomed adjustment is when you pursue such a broken army, and attack it after it arrives at this province, you will completely destroy it that second time (if your army's morale is still fairly high in comparison).  So no more pinballing.. just a (sometimes) long pursuit to finish them off in a second blow!  Another great improvement in EU4.