What's better than Friday? A three day weekend!

Started by MetalDog, August 30, 2013, 06:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Toonces on August 31, 2013, 12:15:37 PM
The Tudors was great.  I've been meaning to watch the whole series again, after I finish Rome, which sucks horribly.

lmao - really? that was my next series

Tuna

mikeck

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 31, 2013, 12:24:36 PM
Quote from: Toonces on August 31, 2013, 12:15:37 PM
The Tudors was great.  I've been meaning to watch the whole series again, after I finish Rome, which sucks horribly.

lmao - really? that was my next series

I liked Rome. Not as good as Tudors or GoT...but decent
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Gusington

I loved Rome. Only watched a handful of the Tudors.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I only watched a few epis of Rome, but none of Tudors. I didn't even know it was on Netflix - I'll have to check it out.

One thing I've also been wanting to watch is the John Adams miniseries.

Gusington

^John Adams is excellent. At first I just couldn't see Giamatti as Adams but he does an excellent job. Every episode is very good.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

We watched The Tudors first, and then GoT.  So I was pretty amped for Rome, but so far, about 5 episodes in, we're pretty disappointed.  It's not nearly as good as Tudors or GoT in my opinion.

I think we're going to finish it out, but I'm just not as stoked on it.

I still have to watch the first season of American Horror Story.  The second season, the asylum one, was AWESOME!

Sorry for the hijack!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Did you watch the second season of American Horror Story on broadcast? I watched the first season on Netflix and loved it. The Wife could not watch it though...too much for her.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

W8taminute

I picked up Game Dev Tycoon just before the weekend on sale at STEAM.  It's a pretty neat little simulation of a game developing company.  Some have said the game is repetitive and I agree to an extent.  Although yes gameplay is  repetitive the game has a certain charm to it as well as a 'just one more turn' feel to it. 

The premise of the game is you are the leader of a small game developing company in the early 80's.  The game is a superb history lesson for the games industry.  You start off making games for PC or Commodore 64 and gradually get introduced to newer platforms such as the Intellivision and the NES.  The alternate names they give the platforms is amusing.

Research new tech in order to develop different kinds of game genres and engines.  Discover the tech for making sequels and you can reuse software at reduced cost to make new games.  The game is filled with detail and background story.

Get it while it's still on sale!

Below is a screenshot of my second game I made.  It was well met by critics and made me a decent amount of money.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

bayonetbrant

change of plans on this weekend's gaming...  I ended up teaching Bayonet Jr how to play Civ5, which he said was "really fun" - and then went downstairs to start his own Minecraft channel on YouTube.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tuna

I ended up doing a lot of FSX Accusim B-17 (thanks for the recommendation PE)..
And Civ V in between time... Still some hours left in this long weekend, and the weather definitely doesn't suggest any 'outdoor' activities!  8)

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on August 30, 2013, 10:50:42 AM
Quote from: Tuna on August 30, 2013, 06:35:27 AM
Definitely a lot of Flight Sim X and DCS (finally got it working activation wise - lost some activations in the process, and never did get a response from their held desk 10 days ago. so they failed that test - where battlefront replied the next day - still not happy with either's DRM)

Probably continue my Civ V and Shogun 2 games.... Trying to resist the Rome 2 pressure!
Hope to get a Warlock session in with Tent and MD.. Or one of the other MP games that needs to be 'continued'.

Happy Labor Day all!

Sounds good.  Trying not to think about Rome II so that should be RoP as the Prussians (the Austrians had a bad winter of 1758 and seem to have more or less vanished) ARMAIII, Shogun2 and a small Command-at-Sea campaign (boardgame -- the way I play it anyway).

So what really happened?  I loaded the new big Island on ARMAIII and spent some time driving around and inventing battles there.  It's the best ARMA landscape so far.

The command-at-sea campaign morphed into a small action in Flying Colors -- an attempt to represent the Revolutionaire's one-ship battle to defend the end of the French battle line in late May just before the two days of the "Glorious First of June"  (June 1, 1794).

I'm hoping to compare how that works in Flying colors to how it works in Close Action.  In Flying colors things got weird and interesting right away:  the wind changed, the fast group of RN 74's got in some good shots at the French 110-gun monster (wounded the French admiral, set the monster on fire) -- but then things shifted and the French put out the fire and blasted two 74s into burning wrecks.  I doubt that the Fench will do so well in Close Action.  But we will see.

Martok

I was gone all weekend visiting family & friends -- and eating/drinking like the glutton we all long to be  8) -- so I didn't get any gaming in.  I've got the next two nights off, though, so it's going to be Rome II, baby! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces