All the colors of the RAINBOW-A Rule the Waves 3 AAR (as the USN)

Started by Tripoli, May 22, 2023, 08:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripoli

July-December  1902
[/b][/u]

Geopolitical

July-The Malaya rebellion against the UK continues.

July-In an engagement between the UK and Germany in the Mediterranean, the     Germans lost 3 CLs and 1 DD, to the UK loss of 1 DD.

July-In July the POTUS asks if the USN can guarantee victory over the Royal Navy in the event of war.  Although it pains me, I have to admit that the USN needs additional funding. This costs me prestige but secures additional funding.  The other option was to gain prestige, but increase tensions, which are already at 9.

August-The UK ends the rebellion in Malaya.

August-In an engagement between the UK and Germany in the Indian Ocean, the Germans lost 1 B and the UK lost 2 CA.

August.  A motivated Lieutenant at ONI hatches a plot to sink a German battleship at anchor.  I don't think so.....

November- In an engagement between the UK and Germany in the SE Asia, the Germans lost 1 CL and the UK lost a B and a CL.

December-A new government wants to increase spending.  My choices on this are not good, involving either a dramatic increase in tensions, or a moderate increase in tension.

USA Political

In August, my prestige drops to 19.  The unrest level increases to 5.

Naval Intelligence

July- ONI obtains the blueprints of the French battleship, the FS JUSTICE, currently under construction.  Interestingly, the design is a 1900-era design. 

July-France is beginning gunnery training.

September- ONI obtains the blueprints of the French battleship, the FS JAUREGUIBERRY, currently under construction.  Interestingly, the design is a 1900-era design.  Notably, the US seems to have a pretty good intelligence collection effort against France, as there has been several intelligence coups in recent months.  In contrast, the collection effort against the UK has yet to even come on-line.

September- ONI reports that France is spending 10% of their budget on research and has a budget balance of -4,200.  This indicates that France is likely tapped out as far as fleet growth is concerned.

USN  Technical Developments

August-Hull construction techniques lead to a 1% weight savings on hull   

September-Pressure hulls are developed, giving a 5% increase in submarine reliability.

USN Budget

August-USN budget increases to $365,740 (+5%)

December-The USN budget gradually decreased through the year.  Currently it is 323,040 (-12% from the high)

USN Construction

July-One CALIFORNIA class B ordered.

July-TACOMA joins the fleet

August- Private shipbuilding increases USN dock size to 19,000 tons

September-Two CLs enter the USN (RENO and OAKLAND)

September-Because of budget constraints, construction on the USS CALIFORNIA is halted.  It will be resumed at the beginning of the year.

November- Private shipbuilding increases USN dock size to 20,000 tons.  Budgetary pressures force me to halt construction on two HURON class CAs. Likewise, the USN will be unable to do the fleet exercise I had intended, nor resume construction of the B CALIFORNIA.

USN Operations

July-Extra training in Gunnery is completed.

December organization of the USN main fleet units is below.  Odd numbered divisions are Pacific Fleet, Even number divisions are Atlantic Fleet.

End of year notes:

Unexpected budget pressures are delaying the completion of several heavy cruisers and one battleship.  War with either Germany or the UK is increasingly possible, and war with France and/or Japan is not out of the question.  However, right now the UK/German war seems to be occupying the attention of both parties, so I believe it is unlikely that the US will be going to war.  Regardless,  it appears that the Pacific is the most likely place for effective offensive action by the USN in the event of war with Germany, the UK, France or Japan, so that is where the bulk of the fleet will be kept, with only defensive operations in the western hemisphere.   Possible invasion targets are displayed below.  Notably, I will have to begin to build some fortifications in the Caribbean and China to protect US assets there.

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

So, by definition with three Great Powers at war, WW1 has kicked off early!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 02, 2023, 08:47:47 PMSo, by definition with three Great Powers at war, WW1 has kicked off early!
The world at this time seemed to be bound and determined to go to general war.  In addition to no-kidding shooting wars like the Spanish-American and Russo-Japanese war, the following crises had the potential for kicking off a general conflagration:

• The Fashoda Incident (1898)
  • First Moroccan Crisis 1905-06
  • The Casablanca Incident (1908)
  • Bosnian Crisis 1908-09
  • Second Moroccan Crisis/Agadir Crisis  1911
  • Balkan Wars 1912-13
It seems like every 80 years or so, the human species isn't content unless we go "Red and Free" on our fellow men.... :-(

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

January-June  1903
[/b][/u]

Geopolitical

January-The German navy sinks a UK CL in the South Pacific, while in the Mediterranean, the UK lost a Battleship and CA, and the AH lost a single CL.  Maybe I could go to war with the Royal Navy.....   

February-I'm given the opportunity to reduce tensions with Germany, but at the cost of prestige.  Because I'm reluctant to lower my prestige and believe the US can take on Germany if needed, I decline.

April- Random tension increase increases tension with France to 8, and Spain to 4, but decreases tension with Germany to 8 and Japan to 7.

At the end of June, the tension levels are:

Germany   8
Great Britain   9
France      8
Russia      1
Japan      7
Italy      4
Spain      3
Austro-Hungary   6

The Naval Balance of Power as of June 1903 is given below:

USA Political

June: Prestige: 21.  Unrest: 5

Naval Intelligence

January ONI obtains the plans for the HIRMS BORODINO, a KNYAZ POTEMKIN-class battleship from 1900.   The design is not particularly impressive in terms of armor or speed, and does not represent a threat to contemporaneous US battleships.

April-Japan orders a battleship from Germany, and additional reports indicate that they are doing additional gunnery training.  A report also indicates that the CA Izumo has a belt and turret armor of 6 inches.

February-Develop improved sub-division, increasing damage resilience.

March-Develop Central Firing fire control.

May-Submarine reliability is increased by 5%

USN Budget

June: $297760.  The USN is hurting for money right now.  We are running a deficit of -$3172/month and only have $4172 surplus.  This should improve slightly at the end of June with the first batch of updated battleships return to service, and should further improve in 3 months time, when several JUNEAU-class CLs enter service.  But right now, the USN budget is hurting....

USN Construction

January-The USN begins construction of a 6-inch shore battery on Hainan island. This will also develop minefields in the area.

April-With the possibility of war with a European power, and the advantages of central firing, I decide to take the entire Pacific Fleet battleline and have them refit with Central firing. USS DELAWARE, NEW YORK< NORTH DAKOTA, ILLINOIS, NEVADA, and OHIO go in for the modernization, which will take from 3-10 months to complete.  Additionally, improved 6-inch guns are added.

June-I scrap the DECATUR class DD's.  It's only five ships, but they are too small (300 tons) and cramped, and the USN budget too tight to continue their use in the fleet.

June-Begin a 6-inch battery (and minefields) at GITMO.  Complete the 6-inch battery on Hainan Island.

USN Operations
NSTR

Tripoli

July-December  1903

Geopolitical
Tensions with Japan are reduced.
July The war between the UK and Germany/Austro-Hungary has ended in a compromise peace.   
July Reports of fighting in the Balkans give me the choice of raising tensions across the board, or significantly increasing tensions with only one nation.  I choose to significantly raise tensions against Japan, raising it to 8

USA Political
   Prestige: 20.  Unrest: 5

In December I had an interesting conundrum. A heretofore average officer apparently was a brilliant engineer, who designed a very good rangefinder.  Unfortunately, he apparently was corrupt.  The choice was to force him out of the service, reducing corruption, or buy the company and increase research into gunnery.  I opted to cashier him for the good of the service, but that was a tough decision.....

Naval Intelligence

December-ONI obtains the blueprints for the HMS QUEEN, a 1903 design, currently under construction.  The comparison between the two vessels is not good for the USN.  The CALIFORNIA is 1800 tons lighter, but one knot faster.  Although armed with 4–12-inch guns, the HMS QUEEN has 12-11" guns, and a broadside of 8-11" guns.  It also has an 11 inch turret and belt compared to 9.5 for the CALIFORNIA, making the US ship incapable of penetrating its belt or turret at any range.  Based on this, it appears the CALIFORNIA is incapable of dealing with the HMS QUEEN.  Based on this, I'm going to scrap the design.  Fortunately, I've only sunk 2 months of build time before construction was stopped, so it won't be a really expensive mistake.

A pneumatic recuperator is invented, improving Rate of Fire.

Machinery development resulting in a 1% decrease in machinery weight.

USN Budget

$303,440.  Congress has recently increased the budget, due to rising tensions with France....

USN Construction

July: Four submarines enter the fleet.  USS OHIO and USS ILLINOIS return from rebuild.

September: CL SPOKANE enters the fleet

October: With four JUNEAU-class CLs about to be commissioned, thereby freeing up funds, I have the OKLAHOMA-class battleships USS ARIZONA, USS NEW JERSEY and USS OKLAHOMA go into the yards for a 3-month upgrade of their fire control system.  This should complete the upgrade of all US battleships to central firing.

November: The JUNEAU class CLs FLINT, TUCSON, SAN JUAN and JUNEAU enter service.  Construction is resumed on the USS MEMPHIS, a HURON class CA.

December: The 6-inch gun battery at GITMO is completed, and the final JUNEAU class CL enters the fleet.

USN Operations

NSTR

Tripoli

Note: In January 1904, relations with France took a turn for the worse.  Accordingly the USN issues War Plan RAINBOW GOLD:

War Plan RAINBOW GOLD-1904

Strategic Situation: France has bases in Norther Europe, the Caribbean, the Mediterranean, West and East Africa, the Indian Ocean, SE Asia, and South Pacific.  These areas have the following capacity: Europe (1600), the Mediterranean (1702), the Indian Ocean (50), SE Asia (170) the South Pacific (60), and Caribbean (20), West Africa (52) . France has no allies.
The US has bases in two of these areas: SE Asia (172) and the Caribbean (1690).  Therefore, the US has a decisive advantage in the Caribbean and in the West and East Coasts of the US and has an equal base capacity in SE Asia.  Outside these areas, the USN faces a significant disadvantage in logistics.

Force Comparison: The US has 75% of France's fleet tonnage, and has 53% of their battleships, 84% of their CAs, 190% of their CLs, and 92% of their DD tonnage.
French vessels are likely to have a similar technical capability to US ships.  US Battleships are average a slightly heavier displacement, have similar armament and average 0.5 knots slower in speed.  The BRENNUS class B account for over 25% of the French battleships, but are small, displacing less than 11,000 tons.  These are unlikely to be a match for any USN battleships.  However, the remaining French battleships are comparable to the USN types.  The French navy has also reportedly been working on gunnery training and has central fire control, so French crews are likely to be similar in gunnery proficiency.  Only in the sea areas where the US has an advantage in bases can an overwhelming force be brought to bear, and thereby achieve victory.  This area is the Caribbean.  However, the apparent lack of heavy French fleet units in SE Asia also present an opportunity for the US to successfully engage in operations in that area.

War Objective: Based on this, the US war aim will be to fight a limited war, with the following war aims, in order of priority: 1) an early war end; with 2) minor territorial gains in the Caribbean and/or crippling French basing capability in SE Asia relative to the US.  To accomplish this strategy, the US will defend in the Eastern Atlantic and attack in the Caribbean, with significant raiding and immediate offensive operations in the Pacific to tie down French forces.  The current force disposition shows few heavy French fleet units in the Pacific area, so the Pacific fleet should have an advantage in the short term over the French navy in the Pacific.  The relative superiority in numbers of heavy cruisers indicates that the USN should also have a superior raiding and anti-raider capability throughout the rest of the world. To support this strategy, the Pacific Fleet will be forward deployed to Hawaii.  This should give sufficient offensive power needed to quickly take offensive operations in SE Asia.  The initial offensive operation will be in SE Asia, with the objective of taking the French base at Tonkin and Annam, with account for 80 and 50 of France's basing capacity in the region.    Simultaneously, the Atlantic fleet will seize the Antilles, which is France's sole base in the Caribbean.  If necessary, subsequent operations will be conducted in the Indian Ocean and/or South Pacific.

Tripoli

January-June  1904

Geopolitical

Tensions with France suddenly spike higher.  Tensions are now:

Germany   8
Great Britain   8
France      10
Russia      1
Japan      7
Italy      4
Spain      4
Austro-Hungary   5

February: Relations between Russia and Germany become tense.

March Relations between Russia and Japan become very tense.

April-Increased industrialization increases USA resources.

In April, the UK requests the USA to reduce its navy.  By agreeing the USN loses budget, and I lose prestige, but tensions are lowered.  That won't happen, especially with the US on the brink of war with France.  I opt to challenge the UK to propose a disarmament conference, which I doubt they will. Surprisingly, a conference is called, which calls for a max ship size of 12,000 tons and main gun armament of no greater than 8 inches.  This fails, due to "high tensions" but the US standing is improved.

May-Russia wants to improve our relations to counteract its tensions with Germany.  The problem is that Germany currently has a relations score of 0 with both France and the UK.  I could see it allying with either of those countries, and suddenly I would be at war with half of Europe.  I decline the proposal.  See image below

USA Political

Prestige: 20.  Unrest: 5

April: Unrest level increases to 6, possibly due to the failure of the disarmament conference.

Naval Intelligence

The UK invents DDs of 600 tons.  This will give the Royal Navy a distinct advantage in light forces.

February: Hull construction techniques save 1% of hull weight.

March-Develop Capped AP projectiles.

March-USN Develops 600 ton DDs

April-Diving planes are invented, increasing submarine reliability.

USN Budget

$303,440. 

USN Construction

January-Because of the increasing possibility of war with France, an additional eight ALWIN class DDs are ordered.  This is because the bulk of USN DDs are short range, and incapable of moving into new areas once war is declared.

February- One additional coastal submarine is ordered.

February-Private dock capacity increases by 500 tons

March-Begin building an 8" battery on Hainan Island.

April TUCKER class DD is developed.  This is a 600 ton, 28 knot destroyer with medium range and good crew accommodations.  More importantly, it has four torpedo tubes, with a broadside of 3, and two  4-inch guns as a main battery and four 3-inch guns as a secondary.    It will replace the entire Bainbridge class, which are both short range and cramped, and thereby of limited utility in war.

April-Private dock capacity increases by 500 tons.  Max ship size is now 21,000 tons
May-Ten TUCKER-class DDs are ordered.

USN Operations

January-The Pacific Fleet forward deploys from the West Coast to Pearl Harbor to prepare for offensive operations in SE Asia in the event of war with France.

JasonPratt

Looks like Germany, France, and Britain may wish to recover some lost colonies in North America!  :evil:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tripoli

July-December 1904

Geopolitical
July War breaks out between Russia and Germany and Austria-Hungary

July-Tensions increase with Germany and the UK.  Now at 9.  Tensions with Japan decrease to 4.
September- The US seems to be on the path to war.  In an interview, I'm asked if war is a possibility.  The only way to lower tensions also results in a lower prestige and lower budget, neither of which is wise when tensions are already elevated.  I can, by calling out France, limit the increase in tensions to just them, as opposed to issuing a more generic statement that results in  elevating tensions with both the UK and Germany, which are already elevated.   Tension with France increases to 11, one step short of war.

October-In an engagement in SE Asia, the Russians lost a CA and the Germans lost two DDs.

December: $50 million was collected by donations to fund a new Battleship, or lose both prestige and money.  I guess I have no choice but to build one.  I hate it when that happens.....   

December The Russia / Germany / Austria-Hungary war ends.

The Geopolitical and overview of the USN is given in the image below.  The Naval Balance of Power is also included below:

USA Political

Prestige: 20.  Unrest: 6

Naval Intelligence

Summer-Both Germany and Austria-Hungary reduce naval spending due to social discontent.

July-USN develops improved signaling.

July -US improves fire control

September-Turrets and gun mountings are improved, giving a 1% weight savings.

October-Quality control on armor is improved, providing improved armor and a 1% weight savings.
December-Steam Turbines are developed.  These save considerable weight on machinery. (just in time to install them to my new Battleship......

USN Budget

Budget-In December it is up to $325,760

USN Construction

June-Private dock capacity increases by 500 tons.  Max ship size is now 21,500 tons

August-Six AYLWIN class DDs are commissioned.  These are immediately sent to SE Asia.

October-8-inch coastal battery in Hainan Island is completed

October-Four more TUCKER-class DDs are ordered.

November- CA LOUISVILLE and SEATTLE are commissioned.

December-12 more TUCKER-class DDs and 3 coastal submarines are ordered.

December-The Design of the turbine-equipped USS NORTH CAROLINA is revealed:

USN Operations

August- A series of disease outbreaks in the BAINBRIDGE-class DDs while deployed to SE Asia forces me to recall them to the West Coast.  The problem is the cramped accommodations of these vessels makes them completely unsuitable for OCONUS deployment.

JasonPratt

Wow! -- really were home in time for Christmas! Barely time to get some front action!

........and in the war!  :evil:

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tripoli

January-June  1905

Geopolitical

January-France has one Battleship and 3 CAs in the Caribbean.  Time for the Atlantic Fleet to show the flag in that area.

February-It is time for a splendid little war.  The navy league asks me to give a speech, and I accuse France of threatening the freedom of the seas.  That should provoke 'em.....

May-Despite being provoked by my speech, with tensions rising to 14, there is yet no war with France.  Great Britain and Germany sign an alliance, though. 

June-There are rumors France is about to go to war with us.  Possibly a naval exercise will irritate them...

Tensions at the end of June are now:

Germany   4
Great Britain   9
France      14
Russia      2
Japan      4
Italy      3
Spain      0
Austro-Hungary   3

See sitrep below:

USA Political

Prestige: 21.  Unrest: 6 

Naval Intelligence
   NSTR

March-USN invents an automatic range transmitter, increasing fire control accuracy

April: Superimposed B turrets discovered.  This means the NORTH CAROLINA class will be a one hull design.

May-The USN develops testing tanks, allowing for a reduction in ship engine HP requirements.  Also develop larger torpedo warheads.

USN Budget

$308,320

USN Construction

January The advent of turbine engines allows more power, while saving engineering plant weight.  Because of this, I modified the TUCKER class destroyer to use the new turbine engines.  This new class, is a modified TUCKER, (re-named the RINGGOLD class), is slightly faster and more heavily armed than the TUCKERs. Because of this, I ceased production of the ten TUCKER class ordered last month and break them up.

February- Ten RINGGOLD class destroyers are ordered.  Ten TUCKER class DDs join the fleet.
April-The design study of the NORTH CAROLINA is completed, and one hull is ordered.  This allows me to complete the build requirements, so I don't lose any prestige.  However, this will be a one hull class, as the invention of the superimposed "B" turrets makes the class inefficient, if not obsolete.

April The final 10 units of the RINGGOLD class DD are ordered.

USN Operations

February The Atlantic Fleet deploys to the Caribbean to show the flag.

March: Because of the impending war with France, USN CLs go to war raiding stations in the Med, IO, West Africa and South Pacific.  CAs are forward deployed to commerce protection stations.

April-I begin a naval academy, to enhance the quality of officers in the fleet.

June-With no war yet, I schedule a fleet exercise "Fleet Problem 1905".  The purpose of this exercise is to both increase the combat readiness of both the Atlantic and Pacific fleets, while resolving the following questions:

1)   What is the optimal size of Destroyer Divisions for the purpose of launching torpedo attacks: 4 or 6 destroyer?
2)   What is the optimal size of Battleship Divisions for the purpose of maximizing firepower on a single enemy battleship? 1, 2, or 3 battleships?
3)   Is a scouting force of 4 CLs better for scouting and screening the main battlefleet, or is a force made up of 2 CAs and 2 CLs superior?

The Fleet Problem will be fought over the next couple of days, and the results will be posted to Grogheads.

bobarossa

Um, France has twice as many Battleships as you do and you want to fight them?

Tripoli

Quote from: bobarossa on June 08, 2023, 04:57:02 PMUm, France has twice as many Battleships as you do and you want to fight them?

Yeah, that's counter-intuitive.  In the War Plan Rainbow Gold post, I explain my logic: France doesn't have any bases in the Eastern or Western US, so my homeland is relatively safe.  They have only one base in the Caribbean, with only a capacity of 20, so they will be unable to support a battlefleet there for very long.  Their basing situation is a bit better in SE Asia, but they have to get their fleet there, and enroute they will likely be attrited because they don't have many bases in the Indian Ocean.  I'm also guessing that a lot of their fleet has either short range or cramped quarters, as most of their heavy fleet units haven't left the Northern Europe and/or Mediterranean.  From what I can tell my individual heavy units are superior to theirs, so I'm gambling I can have superior forces in the likely areas of conflict, and can quickly win this  war by seizing a colony or two and then suing for peace.  I really didn't want this war, but with Germany, the UK and France all increasing tensions, I've had little opportunity to decrease tensions without increasing the tensions with the UK, which is a war I definitely do not want.