Justice League

Started by mirth, July 24, 2016, 06:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

c'mon. WW was better than the first two Thors or that Edward Norton Hulk movie (yes that's in the MCU).
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

BanzaiCat

Okay, I'll agree that WW is better than that first Ang Lee Hulk movie. The Norton version was a LOT better than Ang Lee's but yeah, I'd put that in the basement, too, next to Howard The Duck (even though that wasn't technically a Marvel movie at the time, in my mind it is because it was a Marvel comic long before).

Like I said before, I watched half of WW, got distracted, and never was motivated enough to go back and check the rest of it. I'd rather watch the first Thor movie again, to be honest.  :-\

jamus34

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 15, 2017, 02:18:04 PM
Okay, I'll agree that WW is better than that first Ang Lee Hulk movie. The Norton version was a LOT better than Ang Lee's but yeah, I'd put that in the basement, too, next to Howard The Duck (even though that wasn't technically a Marvel movie at the time, in my mind it is because it was a Marvel comic long before).

Like I said before, I watched half of WW, got distracted, and never was motivated enough to go back and check the rest of it. I'd rather watch the first Thor movie again, to be honest.  :-\

Well I'll be in the minority that I liked the Edward Norton Hulk movie.

Didn't like either of the first 2 thors but the 3rd is easily top 3 in the MCU (probably behind Iron Man 1 and CA:Winter Soldier in my book)

I liked WW until the very end. The DC-U really needs to fire their CGI guys. It's so bad that it breaks immersion for me.

Insert witty comment here.

JudgeDredd

I agree that WW was better than the first two Thor movies. I also agree that it was bad at the end. I also agree that DC needs to look elsewhere for their CGI because ti stinks. They also need to lighten the f**k up - their films are way too dark. And finally - humour. It's often misplaced and not at all punchy enough to warrant being in their movies. They just do not have what the MCU has.

I don't like the DC v MCU thing - each film has to be taken on it's merits - but you can't help get involved in DC v MCU when almost without exception the DC films suck badly and the MCU films are almost without exception just superb.
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

I like Ruffalo as the Hulk, but Norton I thought played a more intense Banner.

JasonPratt

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 16, 2017, 09:15:08 AM
I like Ruffalo as the Hulk, but Norton I thought played a more intense Banner.

Agreed. I understand that, given the overall project, everyone on board needed to be a team player, and right or wrong the justification for dumping Norton was that he wasn't going to be a team player. But at least he didn't look and act like a nervous football fullback who's worried about crushing the people near him BEFORE Hulking out. I don't really buy Ruffalo as Banner. I like his character, but Norton was better as the character.

Also, I generally like the MCU Hulk film, even though I regard it as the weakest entry so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Bruce Banner, to me, should be an intense individual ridden by guilt. Not a one-liner guy. I know Marvel has written and re-written Hulk in the comics over the years with a wide variety of looks and voices, and I wasn't a fan of the Hulk comics back in the day. I think my perception comes from being an avid Incredible Hulk (the TV show) watcher when I was a kid.

acctingman

Initial impression of JL are so/so. Not as bad as Supes/Bats, but not near as good as WW.

For whatever reason DC just can't get it right. Ever since they did GL (massive pile of steaming dog shit) they can't get it right. Marvel owns their asses in movie making. I'm guessing Marvel has deeper pockets so they can hire the best of the best? DC does make some pretty good animated movies and I think they're great.

mirth

I prefer the Ruffalo Banner over Norton or Bana. I like Norton as an actor, but I didn't think he was a great Banner. The Norton Hulk movie was okay, but it just didn't quite click. However, it was a vast improvement over the Ang Lee attempt.

Funny thing is, I really didn't care much for Ruffalo as an actor until he played Hulk/Banner. I think he brings the right mix of humanity, humor and unease to the character.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: acctingman on November 16, 2017, 09:36:05 AM
Initial impression of JL are so/so. Not as bad as Supes/Bats, but not near as good as WW.

For whatever reason DC just can't get it right. Ever since they did GL (massive pile of steaming dog shit) they can't get it right. Marvel owns their asses in movie making. I'm guessing Marvel has deeper pockets so they can hire the best of the best? DC does make some pretty good animated movies and I think they're great.

To be fair, DC really got it right 30 years before Marvel with the first Christopher Reeves Superman (which still holds up today). And they did alright with the Burton/Keaton Batman and even better with the Nolan/Bale Batman. They really need to get away from the sepia-toned, self-serious Snyder version of the DC Universe.

WW was the first DCEU movie to step outside the Snyder model and it worked great.

BanzaiCat

I agree that DC animated movies are awesome. More than one, I've thought, would have made an excellent live-action movie.

Despite most of those DC movies sucking, they've made enough money on most of them (sort of like Transformers movies being piles of shit but still making a billion dollars). WW made $412 mil, Man Of Steel $229 mil, but those are exceptions because they actually outpaced their budgets by a decent amount. Nothing like Transformers movie numbers, but if they keep making a profit, they have no reason to change their formula despite the moaning on the Internet.

mirth

WB/DC definitely wants to change the formula. They want the billion dollar homeruns and long term franchises that Marvel has built.

DC has a better stable of heroes and villians, imo. They need to execute better. It will be interesting to see if they give Whedon the reins for a couple of movies.

mirth

And I can't say that any of the recent DC movies have sucked as bad as the Transformer movies. I think I'd take Green Lantern over the Transformers movies :P

acctingman

Captain America > Batman

Suck it DC

:P

mirth