Chinese Commies vs. Computer Games

Started by airboy, September 03, 2018, 08:43:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Chinas Communist government has not given approval for any new game releases since March.  They have also not allowed any new in-game purchases since March.  The speculation is the communists are cracking down on videogames as they have recently with other online content.

All of this is a business news report from the Wall St. Journal.  One of the examples they gave was stopping the sale of Monster Hunter World.  China is the worlds biggest videogame market by revenue - greater than the US and Japan.  I'm not sure if this applies to anything other than online games.  The article was unclear.  Prior to the lockdown, between 8,000 to 10,000 online games were released annually in China with Tencent and NetEase being the biggest players.

I "think" this may be online games, but I'm not sure. 

Sir Slash

Probably trying to head-off the Three Kingdoms Total War game so people won't find out Ping didn't always rule China.  ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Yeah it was in Australian news yesterday that our ABC website had been blocked by China. This is our government funded news and tv - good science shows but also a lot of leftist propaganda and political correctness stuff. So surprised it was not done sooner. People think they are upset with our government at the moment.

I think it was probably over this foreign interference stuff
https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/9848116

With regard to computer games specifically I am surprised the Chinese have not developed their own government developed games. Or have they? Closest I have come is steel ocean and tiger knight.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

Quote from: Destraex on September 03, 2018, 05:10:12 PM
With regard to computer games specifically I am surprised the Chinese have not developed their own government developed games. Or have they? Closest I have come is steel ocean and tiger knight.

Here you go!
Glorious Mission Online
https://kotaku.com/chinas-first-person-military-shooter-has-a-terrible-me-1026025398

Sir Slash

I understand the North Koreans are working on their own version of Grand Theft Bicycle.  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

Quote from: jomni on September 03, 2018, 09:00:15 PM
Quote from: Destraex on September 03, 2018, 05:10:12 PM

Here you go!
Glorious Mission Online
https://kotaku.com/chinas-first-person-military-shooter-has-a-terrible-me-1026025398

Wow. I'd check it out just for a laugh. The name reminds me of the team america movie "grorious reader" line.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

airboy

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 03, 2018, 10:12:52 PM
I understand the North Koreans are working on their own version of Grand Theft Bicycle.  ::)
:notworthy: