Main Menu

Sisu

Started by Jarhead0331, May 05, 2023, 06:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

If Kill Bill, Inglorious Basterds, Saving Private Ryan and Stalingrad had a wild, drug-fueled orgy, this would be the baby that got conceived.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

So I take it the Germans using a T-55 is the least egregious historical thing about the movie.   :HideEyes:
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 05, 2023, 08:40:21 PMSo I take it the Germans using a T-55 is the least egregious historical thing about the movie.   :HideEyes:

Details, details.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Sir Slash

I seem to remember the Finns and the Germans being on the same side? I know, I know. Don't spoil the most fun you've ever had destroying Nazis'.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Sir Slash on May 05, 2023, 10:27:26 PMI seem to remember the Finns and the Germans being on the same side? I know, I know. Don't spoil the most fun you've ever had destroying Nazis'.

Ooooh no.  They were not.  Co-Belligerents was the farthest.  The Finns were crapped on by every western power and were only a common enemy of the Russians with the Germans. The Germans were the only ones that would arm and support the Finns so it was an alliance of convenience.  Finland never joined the Axis.

In the late period of the Finnish Continuation War they fully broke with the Germans and tried to expel them.  That led to the Finns fighting against the Soviets and Germans at the same time.  I imagine this film is in that period.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Sir Slash

They were on the same side as far as fighting against Russia 41-44. I recall the Germans having combat troops stationed in Finland even before Barbarossa. Allied, no. But probably would had the Germans captured Leningrad.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 05, 2023, 08:40:21 PMSo I take it the Germans using a T-55 is the least egregious historical thing about the movie.   :HideEyes:

Hey, the Germans LOVED to pick up abandoned or slightly damaged Soviet equipment and integrate that into their kit!

Combine that with Nazi time travel experiments, and ta da!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Can't talk now, too busy digging 3 foot holes in my back yard for gold.

ArizonaTank

I still haven't seen the movie... I will when it starts streaming for a decent price.

But my knowledge of Finnish culture is pathetic.

Therefore, I was surprised to find that "sisu" (the word, not the movie title) is actually a thing in Finland.

See the link for description:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/i-m-a-psychology-expert-in-finland-here-s-the-500-year-old-mindset-that-makes-us-the-world-s-happiest-people/ar-AA1dgiFt?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=ea02e191eb564ab7916eabfe82bbea69&ei=16
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Sir Slash

There's a movie on Netflix that should resemble this film a lot I think. It's called. "Blood and Gold". Very violent, set at the end of WWII, Waffen SS vs. a German deserter and villagers over a load of gold bars. It's not bad at all with some great shoot-outs and plot twists.