More Pix For A Laugh

Started by bayonetbrant, January 16, 2013, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

"Imaginary number" == "Yeah, actually, this formula should be invalid, and even impossible, but we need it anyway. So we'll leave a mark to remind us that the square root of negative one makes no possible sense, and should be resolved back out of the equation as soon as possible -- but if not, no big deal, it can just be ignored."
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tpek

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 07, 2016, 03:18:09 PM
"Imaginary number" == "Yeah, actually, this formula should be invalid, and even impossible, but we need it anyway. So we'll leave a mark to remind us that the square root of negative one makes no possible sense, and should be resolved back out of the equation as soon as possible -- but if not, no big deal, it can just be ignored."

Why are they even really called Imaginary Numbers?
Has anyone ever actually managed to imagine the square root of -1?  :buck2:

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 07, 2016, 04:13:50 PM

Its funny because it's true. Back when I still had a work-soul, I collected, collated, analyzed and modelled stream flows and snowpack.

One winter the snows never really came. Mountain snowpack was maybe 20% of long term normal.
I knew way before it happened that it was going to be an ugly year for water users (cities/irrigators) who depended on the slow reliable melt of snow pack (from May to August) to keep rivers flowing with abundance.

I booked my summer holidays early that year - avoided the "ohhhh shit" shit storm that always happens when water supplies get tight.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

JasonPratt

I think people have imagined that they've imagined the square root of negative one.  O0

True fact: in my job, I occasionally have to calculate an estimate of how much cubic-feet-per-minute of environmental temperature airflow is needed to keep a blower inside an enclosure from overheating. For this purpose, I use a formula (and a table of constants, only two of which are needed anywhere in the continental United States, both of which are within .03 of each other) provided in an instruction manual by one of the major manufacturers of blowers in the world -- I was given a copy of the pages PERSONALLY by one of the directors there when my Dad and I visited their manufacturing facilities to advise them on an issue which eventually led them to take the lead in changing how blowers all over the world would be redesigned by all manufacturers from the ground up. (Thus eliminating about one third of our revenue every year, ironically.  ::) )

This formula uses a variable in a way that is one thousand percent nonsense as explained, and I cannot for the life of me imagine (after almost 20 years of occasionally amusing myself by making guesses) how it ought to be used in that formula.

So I ignore it, and treat the variable as a flat temperature instead of a temperature change, for my calculations. This still would produce impossible results to potentially real-world situations, but not quite as immediately impossible as using the delta-T per instructions. Basically I just divide by one hundred, and hope for the best, and I tell customers if I'm explaining it in a hurry that this represents the temperature we don't want the blower to exceed in the enclosure's atmosphere. So far it has worked.

(I do try to explain the true goofiness of the formula if I have time; I want to be honest.  O:-) )

SCIENCE!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

bayonetbrant

military guys will get it

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

JasonPratt

Barthheart

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Windigo

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 07, 2016, 11:02:50 PM
military guys will get it

or anyone who has zeroed in/calibrated/bore sighted their hunting rifle

I always went for a 100 yards sighting in. My thinking was anything beyond that is free to go unharassed. Anything inside that range was obviously too stupid to pass on its genes and needed culling
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

besilarius

Always wondered about Chief O'Brien on Deep Space Nine.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.