Main Menu

HA! I finished it!

Started by MetalDog, February 11, 2015, 11:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: Tuna on February 13, 2015, 09:47:54 AM
Finished my Empire Total War vanilla campaign as Sweden last night. Cleaned out Russia and my Southern neighbors first thing. Martha Confederacy declared war on me early. I did nothing at first until I secured my Eastern Flank, then I took a trip through the Ottoman Empire (they were my allies) and invaded India. Martha Confederacy gave me enough regions for the win!.. This was the first Empire game, that in the end stage my Allies didn't all turn on me, nice change.

The first and only ETW game that u finished was as Indians.  I united India, and extended until  the middle east. Booted out the british when they invaded. No allies.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I finally beat the end boss in Blackguards and can now move on to Blackguards 2.

MetalDog

I kicked up the difficulty to Challenging in FE:LH and made my own faction.  Had a great starting position, then, found that I had exactly zero places to build new cities.  Must have got a hundred or a hundred fifty turns in and had three wars declared on me, so I retired.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Huw the Poo

I am unlikely to ever post in this thread. ;)

MetalDog

Come now.  If you do MP with us, I'm sure we can bring the end of your game to a satisfying conclusion :)

WYBaugh

Finished Borderlands - The Pre-Sequel...well, the first run through.

Kushan

I "finished" my first game of Elite. In a text book example of why you shouldn't play and drink alcohol. Wasn't paying attention to my hyperspace jumps and ran myself into a dead end system with no fuel left to go back.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on February 13, 2015, 10:06:06 AM
Wait... you were allied with the Ottomans in ETW.. and they didn't turn on you?!  :o

My neighboring allies always turned on me in the TWs prior to Shogun 2.  In record time.  Even the small ones would go suicidal and declare war on me shortly afterward.  ;D
Getting allies and keeping them is a real isue for me in Shogun2. I usually play Chosokabe (have I got that right? The black coloured side on Shikoku island). Nice as I am and with the best Lapsang Souchong tea too, I usually find my allies turn on me after I've taken a few provinces. :(
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2015, 01:59:31 PM
I kicked up the difficulty to Challenging in FE:LH and made my own faction.  Had a great starting position, then, found that I had exactly zero places to build new cities.  Must have got a hundred or a hundred fifty turns in and had three wars declared on me, so I retired.
I have a similar problem of finding spaces for cities in my game. I'm playing on normal difficulty, but you sound like you have a real handle on this to be on challenging - congrats! I've not played it MP, so if you're interested PM me. Perhaps we can get a Grogheads MP game going?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Quote from: Boggit on February 15, 2015, 01:08:34 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 13, 2015, 10:06:06 AM
Wait... you were allied with the Ottomans in ETW.. and they didn't turn on you?!  :o

My neighboring allies always turned on me in the TWs prior to Shogun 2.  In record time.  Even the small ones would go suicidal and declare war on me shortly afterward.  ;D
Getting allies and keeping them is a real isue for me in Shogun2. I usually play Chosokabe (have I got that right? The black coloured side on Shikoku island). Nice as I am and with the best Lapsang Souchong tea too, I usually find my allies turn on me after I've taken a few provinces. :(

They've always penalized you for neighboring or captuing land next to all foreign nations in the TW series.  Even when they're allies. 

I always tried to ally with factions that I wouldn't be bordering for awhile, when possible.  That way their relations value will have plenty of time to slowly build up so that they're fairly resilient to such things by the time you neighbor them.  It takes quite awhile for it to get pretty solid but can be done enough in Shogun 2 and Rome 2 to keep allies for a long stretch. 

In the previous TWs, they just tended to dislike you over time either way, to varying extents, and even the tiny states with good relations would suicidally DOW you after a time, if they were on your border.  The diplo relations effects were definitely improved in Shogun 2 so that you have a decent shot at keeping a long-term ally or two.

Boggit

That's where I'm going wrong - the Chosokabe have loads of neighbours. I should be plottong my alliances further away. Thanks for the advice Nefaro! O0

MetalDog

Quote from: Boggit on February 15, 2015, 01:13:21 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on February 14, 2015, 01:59:31 PM
I have a similar problem of finding spaces for cities in my game. I'm playing on normal difficulty, but you sound like you have a real handle on this to be on challenging - congrats! I've not played it MP, so if you're interested PM me. Perhaps we can get a Grogheads MP game going?

I would love nothing more than to MP this game.  Unfortunately, there is no such feature. 

As for cities, I am finding that the best course is to know you will be working off of Outposts and key your strategy to taking neighbors cities.  Got the first part of that right, now I have to learn the second.  Another thing I will say is that I am finding it more difficult to kill the marauding bands that lurk outside your borders.  I do not fight the Tactical battles though and that might have something to do with it.  Any thoughts from LH players?

Tuna

If it's gonna be close, you should definitely fight the tactical battles, you will always be 'smarter' than the AI, so you can win a lot when the odds are against you.  O0

MetalDog

Quote from: Tuna on February 15, 2015, 01:56:34 PM
If it's gonna be close, you should definitely fight the tactical battles, you will always be 'smarter' than the AI, so you can win a lot when the odds are against you.  O0

You're giving me a lot of credit if you think I am going to be smarter than any thing ;)  Even using '' to denote your sarcasm is too much :)

Boggit

Quote from: MetalDog on February 15, 2015, 01:59:03 PM
Quote from: Tuna on February 15, 2015, 01:56:34 PM

You're giving me a lot of credit if you think I am going to be smarter than any thing ;)  Even using '' to denote your sarcasm is too much :)
I almost always fight the tactical battles. The general lack of a retreat option after a couple of turns is something it could do with to rescue heroes caught in a tight spot, but it is a lot of fun.

@MD :) I love your reverse psychology. I'll bet you are a killer player in MP games! ;)