Close Combat-the blood first

Started by LoganismyHERO, August 09, 2019, 12:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

Quote from: -budd- on October 05, 2019, 07:59:06 AM
Some game moments make you forgot/forgive games current problems, sneaking a bazooka team around behind that tank for the killing ass shot was one of those moments.

Indeed  O0

i made a custom scenario  and played it from both sides to see what the AI does
no mayor hiccup ... and tanks trading to many shots looks better now then in the prerelease beta videos
and my test was before the hotfix patch of today
(it took a Panzer IV G  4 or 5 shots to kill the M4 in the pic  the Panzer was on the hilltop in a hull down position and the M4 shot above it several times or had hit it without fatal results ..there was a distinctive sound clue for a ricochet)     

I am with -budd-,  its the small things that bring the joy
... had a situation where a Stug III was aiming at my M3 Tank Destroyer, 2 man from a rifle team of 4  i had sneaked into victory location "a" suddenly stood up, got to the StuG III  (i am not sure, but i could swear there was even an animation? where a soldier stick something to the flank of that tank) and so assaulted it with grenades, then run back to cover, the StuG III turned 30° to the greater closer threat to right ...and got destroyed by a shot in its left flank by the M3 with the 75mm gun, remaining crew bailed out and got into a brawl with the 4 man rifle team ... terrific  ;D 

Rayfer

Nice screenshot and narrative mikeGER....I feel like a yo-yo with this game. Initially I was excited, then the reviews (specifically the RPS review) made this a no-purchase, now budd and mike GER have me back to excited to buy.

-budd-

I am notorious for being easy on game flaws. I do my research before purchase and so far haven't seen anything which really surprised me problem wise, i knew what i was getting into. I'm always more interested in finding the fun moments than the flaws in a game. Sometimes it just comes down to your expectations going in.

Nice shot MikeGER, what map is that?

I set up a defend mission to see how the AI attacks, here's how i set it up

Here's my setup on defense

Pretty much as expected the AI performed bad on attack. Leading with armor, no coordination between units, AI got a minor victory by sheer weight of numbers and grabbing a last minute VP. This is where i saw a tank go into a building, one tank drove right through the middle of town early on, went by so quickly my AT unit and tank couldn't get a shot off as it drove through town..... i'm sitting yelling "getum for god sakes" it went through town and stayed a bit on the other side with its ass facing the town, i got a bazooka team over for the ass shot but they missed twice from 50 meters.....it was all kind of funny.

Guess what im saying is if those types of things ruin your experience and your not able to have fun with the game, then i'd wait on the purchase.

I'd like a little more freedom in unit selection in the scenario editor, freedom to pick by units instead of companies, also like to decide how many support units to have, right now limited to three. Editor needs more user freedom.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

MikeGER

Quote from: -budd- on October 05, 2019, 10:27:17 AM

the map is ElGuettar
i have changed my pitch to 25/40 from original 40/60 and today (not in the pic) zoomlimit down to 60 from 80 in the MAPVIEW.txt file 

Hello Developers,  it would be good if "L" key to change pitch had 1 or 2 more notches to circle through :dreamer: 

Destraex

Played a mission last night where I could have killed the enemy's tanks. However my men decided to seitch back and feoth from grenades and anto tank 10 times a second all game instead.
I also have to figure out when to save because after that battle it took me straight to the next one and I could not save at the screen just before entering battle.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

I know the maps could be visually improved but the 3D is a game changer for me, not sure i could go back to the flat maps.

Germans attack the ridge.....successfully

My attempt to retake the ridge fails.............F U......i drop arty on the Germans.

Here's my zoom settings
ZOOM 50
ZOOMLIMIT 400
ROTATE 0
FOV 40
ZOOMINLIMIT 40
TOPDOWNZOOMLIMIT 400
TOPDOWNZOOMINLIMIT 40
ORDERLINEALPHA 60
ORDERLINEWIDTH 0.5
SELECTIONBOXCOLOUR D0FFFF88

PITCH 20
PITCH2 40
PITCHLIMIT 20

COOPFRAMETINT C08888FF

Destraex

I need that zoom. You can actually see the lay of the land properly.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Rayfer

Awesome Screenshots budd...thanks.

-budd-

Quote from: Destraex on October 06, 2019, 02:07:23 AM
I need that zoom. You can actually see the lay of the land properly.

Just copy and paste my settings, keep a copy of the original file. You do get some weird looking stuff with the terrain being that low, i had it lower but with the peaks and valleys it had much more graphical anomalies.

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: MikeGER on October 05, 2019, 10:42:35 AM
Quote from: -budd- on October 05, 2019, 10:27:17 AM

the map is ElGuettar
i have changed my pitch to 25/40 from original 40/60 and today (not in the pic) zoomlimit down to 60 from 80 in the MAPVIEW.txt file 

Hello Developers,  it would be good if "L" key to change pitch had 1 or 2 more notches to circle through :dreamer:
The PITCH and PITCH2 values are the L key settings for the non-topdown views.

Cheers

Pip

LoganismyHERO

Reviews on Steam are much worse than what you all are saying about the game. Matrix forums aren't that much better.

-budd-

Wasn't giving a review, just highlighting some cool stuff. I've come across a lot of the stuff mentioned in the forums, it sucks, but I'm still having some cool gaming moments. I'm a glass half full type of guy, they'll get it fixed.

MikeGER

For those who want a challenge or to be very fair to the AI-routines: 
set the AI to Recruit and your side to Elite

(sounds funny but it means that the "Recruit" get more/better units and the "Elite" get less
this has the side effect that the tactical-AI of a single units acts more aggressive. because it sense that it has local domination regarding the enemy unit it has spotted in comparison to the number and status of friendlies nearby and so press on)

oh boy, that made a difference in my little ElGuettar test scenario
i had to do with 10 units and 1 support slot (which i could not fill because my support column was empty) so actually no support unit at all

was not able to hold both victory locations, and got mauled badly.... and battle ended early, cause of cohesion loss   

next time i playtest Green-AI vs human Veteran setting  ;)

Crossroads

Quote from: -budd- on October 05, 2019, 11:11:59 PM
I know the maps could be visually improved but the 3D is a game changer for me, not sure i could go back to the flat maps.

-snip-

Oh wow, that does look neat indeed!
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

GDS_Starfury

reading the old 2d maps was an art.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.