What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I re-started Fire in the Sky by Bergerud.  It's a history of the air war in the South Pacific during WW2.  I also have it's companion Touched by Fire covering the ground war, but only skimmed the beginning.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JasonPratt

I've read those both some years ago. Much to my surprise, I recall liking the ground war book better, but I thought both did a good job with... how should I say it... the pores of the South Pacific campaigns.

I still occasionally reference a description from TBF, where a Japanese jungle soldier compared the difference in fighting the British and the Americans: the British learned to fight in the jungle nightmarishly well. The Americans knocked down the jungle.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Just finished the first Gears of War comics omnibus. Surprisingly good. About to start the enormous coffee table Terminator Vault: The Complete Story Behind the Making of The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day by Ian Nathan.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

I've been reading " Danger Zone: The Coming Conflict with China".  I'm about 75% through.  The book provides a good primer on the case for the possibility of a  war with China in the near-term. It is a good, relatively easy read for anyone interested in the topic.  A good review of the book is here: 
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/from-the-bookshelf-danger-zone-the-coming-conflict-with-china/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20The%20Strategist&utm_content=Daily%20The%20Strategist+CID_7c66cbd74e6935f5a3d814941bf7d52a&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_term=From%20the%20bookshelf%20Danger%20zone%20the%20coming%20conflict%20with%20China

"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

Just started A Winter Haunting by Dan Simmons.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

nelmsm

Given up on history for a bit and have been reading CJ Box's Joe Pickett series as fast as I can devour them

peter7587

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Half-way through "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes

Hefty and very thorough discussion of the Atom Bomb project.

In addition to the US/UK Manhatten Project, the book also has in-depth discussions of German, Japanese and Soviet programs.

The book is primarily a scientific history. It covers all of the early work, starting before WWI, that eventually led to production of the atom bomb.

The book also very thoroughly discusses the many side branches of the subject.

For example, how the Nazis basically expelled most of the top European nuclear physicists. Most of these scientists, from the elite core like Bohr, Szilard, Teller, Bethe and even Einstein, to hundreds of lesser known men and women, landed mostly in the US or UK. The contribution of these refugee scientists was critical to the program.

The book also explores many other side vents, such as Allied operations to slow the German program. For example, the book includes some thrilling tales around Norwegian resistance operations to thwart German heavy water production.

I am enjoying the book a great deal. But the book does go pretty heavily into the science and does stretch my ability to understand at times.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Atomic-Bomb-Richard-Rhodes-ebook/dp/B008TRU7SQ?ref_=ast_author_dp

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

GDS_Starfury

if you like that try Command and Control by Eric Schlosser
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

Just finished the 2nd book in The Northern Skies dark fantasy trilogy by Leo Carew, The Spider. Very good. Now about to start Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I'm reading Operation Pineapple Express by this guy...

LTC Scott Mann
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

Now reading The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff, the first book in her Roman Britain trilogy.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Ha, Finished It! -- ended the final chapter of Churchill's superlong historical series yesterday, from prehistoric Britain (when it wasn't even an island yet) to the end of WW2!

Phew. Not sure how long that took, two years-ish? (To be fair I've been reading many other books at the same time.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

About a third of the way through," Meat Grinder: The Battles for the Rzhev Salient 1942-43" by the Expert of the East, Prit Buttar. Loving it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.