New Video Card Thoughts - 2GB Enough?

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 01, 2014, 09:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Looking to upgrade my current video card from a AMD HD6870 to something like a AMD R9 270x.....it always seems after I make a purchase, my model is already out dated:)

With that said, do people think 2GB is enough video memory and enough of a difference of having only 1GB, which I have already?  Should I just hold off for a couple more revisions?

I am an AMD fanboy (never a single issue) so looking to stay in the family....

GDS_Starfury

more cant hurt.  Im guessing that the RAM is ddr5?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Grim.Reaper

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 11:46:14 AM
its only $200 at Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127761

That's exactly the one I was thinking about....get 2 free games and a gift card with it....I think it might make a good Father's day gift:)

eyebiter

Grim.Reaper

Sounds like they think a no brainer...

GDS_Starfury

ya think?  lol

QuoteThe new Radeon R9 270X is on average a massive 78 percent quicker than the Radeon HD 6870, which makes this conclusion a no-brainer. Upgrading from the HD 6870 to a Radeon R9 270X is an all reasonable descision.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 02, 2014, 06:10:54 PM
ya think?  lol

QuoteThe new Radeon R9 270X is on average a massive 78 percent quicker than the Radeon HD 6870, which makes this conclusion a no-brainer. Upgrading from the HD 6870 to a Radeon R9 270X is an all reasonable descision.

It's easy for them to say...I still need to shell out $200:)

GDS_Starfury

I aint flush by any stretch of the imagination but thats not a bad price at all.
that last card I got is a Radeon 5750 for $120 or so.  that R9 will crush any game I'm really going to play.
ALB looked great and ran fine with the 5750 so I can only imagine it with something current.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 02, 2014, 07:51:14 PM
I aint flush by any stretch of the imagination but thats not a bad price at all.
that last card I got is a Radeon 5750 for $120 or so.  that R9 will crush any game I'm really going to play.
ALB looked great and ran fine with the 5750 so I can only imagine it with something current.

True, plus you get two free games and a $20 gift card...those alone are worth $100...so really just a $100 for the card:)

GDS_Starfury

you might be able to sell your old one on ebay or something.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 02, 2014, 07:59:01 PM
you might be able to sell your old one on ebay or something.

I was thinking the same....we have some local site that people sell stuff...even if I just get $20-30 better than nothing.

Grim.Reaper

And I am an idiot.....I actually currently have a HD6850, not HD6870.....guess likely even a greater gap in performance:)  Don't know what I was thinking....