Started by Jarhead0331, February 02, 2012, 09:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

WARNING-WARNING-WARNING

GRAPHIC CONTENT

WARNING-WARNING-WARNING

In case you were curious...

Engineer sucked into engine aftermath
A mechanic standing near a Boeing 737 at El Paso International Airport in Texas was sucked into one of the engines and killed Monday, officials said.

Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine" was carried out, said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's southwest region in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

"Someone on the ground was sucked into the engine," he said.

In a written statement, Continental Chairman and CEO Larry Kellner said the person killed was a mechanic who worked for one of the airline's suppliers.

"My fellow coworkers and I extend our heartfelt sympathies to the family and friends of the mechanic involved in this tragic event," Kellner said.

The 737-500 was carrying 114 passengers and five crew members at the time of the accident, he said.

"Continental is coordinating assistance for passengers who need help dealing with this tragedy," Kellner said. "Continental's Employee Assistance Program team is also flying to El Paso to meet with employees."

He said the incident occurred during a maintenance check in preparation for the plane's departure.

A spokeswoman for Boeing said Monday's incident is not the first such accident. "It doesn't happen very often," spokeswoman Liz Verdier said. "It has happened in the past."

Either way, she said, the responsibility lies with Continental: "The airlines are responsible for their safety procedures."

The National Transportation Safety Board has sent a team of investigators from its office in Denver, Colorado, Herwig said.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Based upon the pulp and spray, I presume it was (blessedly) very short, very nasty and very brutish.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Centurion40

I'd be surprised if he knew what hit him.  Damn!

Let's hope that Continental makes the poor bastard's family millionaires, or at least high hundred-thousandaires.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 02, 2012, 09:44:45 AM

Let's hope that Continental makes the poor bastard's family millionaires, or at least high hundred-thousandaires.

Why?  There is a strong chance it was his fault.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Centurion40

Alrightie then, let's hope that the poor bastard had a lot of insurance coverage!

Martok

My gods, that's horrible.  Definitely not the way I'd choose to go! 

Also:  Gods, I'm a schmuck.  I saw the thread's title, yet I clicked on it anyway! 

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 02, 2012, 10:01:27 AM

I will admit to wondering what he was doing in close proximity to a live jet engine in the first place... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on February 02, 2012, 10:16:26 AM

Also:  Gods, I'm a schmuck.  I saw the thread's title, yet I clicked on it anyway! 

Well, you know the old saying...curiosity killed the...jet engine repair mechanic?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

son_of_montfort

I know... I clicked, read the disclaimer... then went ahead. Now I can't get this out of my brain.

:'(

Are we sure this is real though? I would think it rather heartless for someone to take and post pics.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Centurion40

My gods, that's horrible.  Definitely not the way I'd choose to go! 

Ya know, there are far worse ways to check-out.  Not that I'd chose this method, if it were to be up to me, but I'd pick the jet engine over cancer, burning, electrocution, heart-attack, asphyxiation and drowning.

It was probably more difficult on the people left behind to clean-up than it was on the mechanic.  He probably just felt a tug on his body then lights-out.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 02, 2012, 10:35:01 AM

It was probably more difficult on the people left behind to clean-up than it was on the mechanic.  He probably just felt a tug on his body then lights-out.

+1...not only that, but there were 114 passengers on the plane.  Many of them will probably never fly again.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Centurion40

Yeah, but they were probably all Texans, and it was the right-hand side of the plane, so they probably were able to suck-up (I'm sorry) what they saw better than most.

Now if it had been the left-hand side of the plane and in Delaware, it probably would have been far more traumatic.

MIGMaster

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 02, 2012, 10:01:27 AM

Damn Lawyers  ;)

Smuckatelli

Quote from: Martok on February 02, 2012, 10:16:26 AM

How many times have I said "Don't shoot the tank!"

Since this is a new forum:

Back in my sniper free wheeling days, every once in a while we would have to keep our 40s in the armory and check out 16s, 203s, 249s and so on.

One night in Korea, just south of Pohang we were going to practice a live fire non-illuminated infiltration of enemy lines. The idea is you single file low crawl under the wire, quietly spread out 5 meters in front of the bad guys fighting position and assault through using massive amounts of lead.....naturally this had to go around 03 in the morning.   

We were ready to begin the training, clouds were blocking out the moon so we waited....and waited...and waited.....eventually they determined that we weren't going to be able to safely conduct the training so we were going to have a mad minute since the ammo was already loaded in the magazines..... The line company commander wanted the snipers off of the range asap (he didn't like us) so we were tasked to expend our ammo first and then get back to the rear.

He was afraid that we would see his Marines screwing up.

On the range there was an old M-26. Our Platoon Sergeant made it a point  "DON"T shoot the tank" So we are all on line and given the word to expend the rounds. Within 3 seconds you could see the tracers converging on the tank....sustained fire from 16s, rapid fire from 249s and the occasional bla blump from the 203s.

The Platoon Sergeant was livid yelling cease fire..throw rocks at us to get our attention. The line company commander was losing his mind. Eventually we stopped firing..the momentary silence was broken by the lone 203 man that didn't get the word.....

and echoing bla blump was heard again...

Our libo was secured for a week but we loved seeing the company commander lose control..it was worth it, until we realized that we had just proved his point about a lack of discipline.

LongBlade

Smuck, the last time you told that story it was funnier. I think it was because it involved an inflatable raft and two male strippers.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.