Doctor Who season 8 tomorrow!

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, August 22, 2014, 08:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Sure; will post next week.

I haven't take it out of its strappings yet, and probably won't (just to be safe).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

This is the official site for the screwdriver: http://www.thewandcompany.com/sonic/

The site code there is too chunky for my old browser at work to run, so I can't tell you if there's any difference between "10th" and "11th" Doctor models (because I can't toggle the switch on the page); but visually comparing the page's default 11th model with what I've got, if I don't have 11 then there isn't any noticeable difference. Comparison with ebay sellers indicates this is 11th. (10 has a blue light.)

The official photo on that site doesn't quite do justice to how some of the parts actually look -- in real life the most plasticy parts don't look so plastic. But otherwise that's a good place to start.

The photo attached below was the best one I could get under the circumstances of the item in its packaging. (Click to embiggen I think.) It is SUPER SECURELY packaged, clearly for sale in stores not as part of a special mailing pack unavailable in stores. (The mailing pack was obviously not intended for retail, because anyone could easily pull off a few parts and get to the blus inside.) Some of the backing of the 'stand' it's lying on has a molded "wiring" texture, especially at the top and the bottom of the screwdriver, but in this photo it looks like some kind of damage so I thought I had better account for it. Embiggening the photo below by clicking on it will show the molded wiring of the box very clearly.

None of my cameras do a good job of closeups, but I can try on request.

Crazy people on ebay think they can sell this for a hundred dollars or more. To be fair, that's about what the approximate difference of value would be if the blus could be bought separately without the screwdriver (or the pointless comic and three collectable cards) -- some of the seasons aren't available in blu, or rather they were but in a limited faulty production that was highly critted for cheap upscaling. (The new blus are better and I seriously don't know why BBC isn't making them available for separate purchase. But I saw no plans for it. I guess they bought a bunch of these screwdrivers and damned if they're not going to get a profit back on them!  :2funny: )

Note that this is not the Wii remote, which looks very similar but is selling for much less ($30 to $50). My impression from reading around is that in real life the Wii remote looks and feels much cheaper, too, though the photos are pretty similar (aside from the obvious lack of Wii controls here. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

GDS_Starfury

I was really hoping bow tie girl would last.

Staggerwing

Does the little three-fingered claw part on the end of the Sonic Screwdriver pop open when you push one of the buttons?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Im somewhat disappointed with that lot.
WTF happened Bawb?  your mustache was supposed to be on top of this shit.

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JasonPratt

Does the three-fingered claw pop out? -- I can't say from experience because I'm keeping it packaged. My impression is yes. I'll see if I can verify that elsehow.

What am I asking for it? Part of me wants to join the crazy people on ebay and see if I can pawn it back for the money I (effectively) paid instead of being able to just buy the blus. However, I haven't watched their bids to see if anyone is actually paying such money for it.

I'm willing to start the bid at $10. I can't seriously imagine anyone paying more for that, instead of for a game. But I'm not a collector.

I'll start a new thread for it, so as not to distract from Season 8 (and other seasonal) discussions here. :) But I'll link back to it.

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 09, 2014, 10:45:33 AM
Does the three-fingered claw pop out? -- I can't say from experience because I'm keeping it packaged. My impression is yes. I'll see if I can verify that elsehow.

What am I asking for it? Part of me wants to join the crazy people on ebay and see if I can pawn it back for the money I (effectively) paid instead of being able to just buy the blus. However, I haven't watched their bids to see if anyone is actually paying such money for it.

I'm willing to start the bid at $10. I can't seriously imagine anyone paying more for that, instead of for a game. But I'm not a collector.

I'll start a new thread for it, so as not to distract from Season 8 (and other seasonal) discussions here. :) But I'll link back to it.

Thinkgeek sells them for a lot more so $10 bucks would be a real bargain. http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee4a/

They also sell non-tv remote versions for much less. Maybe that's what's throwing off your calculations.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 09, 2014, 11:05:39 AM
They also sell non-tv remote versions for much less. Maybe that's what's throwing off your calculations.

No, what's throwing off my calculations is that I'd rather buy any number of video games and other things than a remote control sonic screwdriver.  ;D I know how much they're retailing for.