External Backup drive suggestions needed

Started by Staggerwing, October 12, 2014, 09:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I need to get a couple of external backup drives, one for my windowbox and one my iMac. I need at least 1T available per drive and they need to be less than $75 each. I'm also looking for reliability and simplicity, not speed, looks, network connections, or physical dimensions.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Any HD will do for complete backup. For your regularly used data, put it on a flash USB drive. No moving parts. Your backup drive should be almost always unplugged so it is not wearing out.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bbmike

I've had good luck with the Western Digital My Passport. There's even a wireless version I've been considering.

[edit] It's the 1TB USB version that's less than $75
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 12, 2014, 01:42:55 PM
Any HD will do for complete backup. For your regularly used data, put it on a flash USB drive. No moving parts. Your backup drive should be almost always unplugged so it is not wearing out.

I'm not looking for technical suggestions as much as I am long term satisfaction that you guys have had with your specific external HDDs- which ones have lasted, which to avoid and such. I want to be able to back up the whole shebang in case of full drive failure or when I need to do a major overhaul so I'm looking for reliability suggestions from the forumites here. I'll probably do weekly backups of everything on the iMac and I want to completely reinstall windows 7 on the other while keeping the 700-odd gigs of game install files I've d/led from GOG, D2D, Marix, GG, etc. I know I can re-d/l some of them but others, such as the early Matrix games and the stuff from D2D are probably not replaceable.

Quote from: bbmike on October 12, 2014, 02:06:09 PM
I've had good luck with the Western Digital My Passport. There's even a wireless version I've been considering.

Thanks for the links bbmike. I'll check them out.  :)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

We got a nice Toshiba 1Tb and it was around your price - brought it on amazon.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Ive had the same WD external drive for the last 7 years with no issues or compatability problems.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.