Computer desk for simulator

Started by Staggerwing, November 09, 2014, 07:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

A quick question to the class:

*For those of you who sim with a yoke or wheel do you use a regular computer desk with pull-out keyboard tray or do you use a table of some kind?
   *Where do you keep the keyboard while flying/racing?
   *Do you have a permanent setup or do you rearrange everything to attach the yoke/wheel to the desk every time you sim?
   *What is your setup and how many inches high is the working surface you find most comfortable?

I need to get something to put my Windowbox on and attach my yoke because I'd like to get back to flightsiming more. My computer desk has a flimsy keyboard tray and the desk top is too high and rounded to easily bolt on my CH yoke and use comfortably. I'm leaning toward some kind of long IKEA style table with adjustable legs but need more feedback.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

I use a desk with a pull-out tray. My X45 combo lives at the back until I need it, at which point I move them to the pull-out.

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Staggerwing

Thanks Bob. I tried bolting the yoke to the keyboard tray but the tray slides back and forth too much and the yoke's shaft hits the edge of the desk above the tray when pitching down.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bob48

Yeah, its not ideal, but the pull-out is quite deep so I don't have that problem. Its handy though because the keyboard fits between the two X45 units so its easy to access.

'Clip those corners'

GDS_Starfury

nothing like a deep pull out for your yoke.   ^-^
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Don't you have some chubby barmaids to hit on or something?

GDS_Starfury

I just kicked em out for the walk of shame.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

'Clip those corners'