Urban Outfitters Anti-Semitic?

Started by LongBlade, April 23, 2012, 05:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Quote from: 0kult13 on April 25, 2012, 06:56:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram

Its the shape of a hexagram, many religions including judadisum,hindu,islam,christianity,  freemans and occultists all use it. Looks like the Anti-Defamation League want to stick to liking justin beiber and avoid making uniformed claims. Unless the company paid them to do it for some free advertising.

This is not simply a hexagram.
And the Star of David isn't really a Hindu, Muslim or Christian symbol.

pawelj

Only if UO forced Jewish people to buy it.
What is actually offensive here? That it resembles a star of David, which is of itself not a offensive symbol, especially to Jewish people. Is it because it is SoD  sown on the pocket, resembling the signs required to be worn by the Nazis? What if there was no pocket? Or the symbol sown in the middle or on the sleeve? Would that be better? Is it that it might be a reminder to survivor? Aren't we not supposed to forget?
What if a Jewish person wore it with pride, or a non-Jewish person wore it out of solidarity or just likes the aesthetics of it?

My grandfather went through camps in Auschwitz, Flosenberg, Sachsenhausen and finally Dachau. He had this pin with a red triangle with a P on it signifying Polish prisoner. He always wore it on his suit. I'm sure that whenever he saw the pin memories flooded back. Don't think he would have been offended by a triangle with a P in it on a T-shirt.

I really hate when people claim to be offended by things they see or hear. If you don't like it, don't look or listen.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

0kult13

Quote from: Tpek on April 25, 2012, 07:37:09 AM
Quote from: 0kult13 on April 25, 2012, 06:56:51 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagram

Its the shape of a hexagram, many religions including judadisum,hindu,islam,christianity,  freemans and occultists all use it. Looks like the Anti-Defamation League want to stick to liking justin beiber and avoid making uniformed claims. Unless the company paid them to do it for some free advertising.

This is not simply a hexagram.
And the Star of David isn't really a Hindu, Muslim or Christian symbol.

Each religion calls the same shape a diffrent name with a diffrent meaning attached to it. Thus when using a hexagram in a pagan ritual i would not call it a star of david.

son_of_montfort

Jarhead,

Reading that list was semi-hilarious. You have to wonder who is in their product acquisition department? I mean "Ghettopoly?" Really? The rest is just like a long list of insane business decisions.

I had heard about the Brooklyn artist thing. That was sort of a big deal a bit back.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert