Four Marines killed at Chattanooga Navy Op Support Ctr and Marine Reserve Ctr

Started by steve58, July 16, 2015, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 17, 2015, 01:26:39 AM
So now find his brothers, sisters, mother, father, uncles and aunties and cousins and make their life an unmentionable hell - make the next c*** think 'shit if I do this then that's what happens to my family' make it something to make them think twice - without and repercussions or reprisals they've nothing to lose but becoming a martyr with a hole in his face and that's what they want - I want them to sit in their little hovel before embarking on their holy mission and know some terrible shitstorm is coming to theirs
I can understand the sentiment behind this - and the logic of deterrence. On the flip side you criminalise people who weren't necessarily involved, and thus innocent. There is no certainty that family will share the same views  - witness in the UK the views of the husbands of women who left to IS with their children recently. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-sisters-feared-joined-islamic-5921046 I have no problem throwing the book at the guilty, but it is just wrong to take things out on the innocent, and is a slippery slope to despotic government for everyone. While the likes of IS will do that which you suggest, are you really sure that you'd want the unintended consequences?

Far better to catch the terrorists, find out as much as possible from them, then lock them up with no possibility of reprieve.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Did I hear correctly that the guard post was unarmed?  ???

Also, I know I heard the recruitment post was a "gun-free zone" (right??), but I'd sure like someone to explain the legalities of that to me.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

Quote from: JasonPratt on July 23, 2015, 07:31:42 AM
Did I hear correctly that the guard post was unarmed?  ???

Also, I know I heard the recruitment post was a "gun-free zone" (right??), but I'd sure like someone to explain the legalities of that to me.

I don't know about the guard post but that's probably correct.

As for the recruiting center, IIRC I saw Gen Odierno on TV explaining how they'd have to think about the policy. Apparently some of these stations are in malls. He was also concerned about accidental discharges.

Personally neither of those excuses makes much sense to me. That's probably why I'm unfit for leadership in DC.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Apparently the sailor and one of the Marines did return fire. In the link below it discusses how both used "personal weapons" to return fire. It's unclear exactly what that means.

At the bottom of the article is a paragraph explaining why the Marines were unarmed. More info at the link.

QuoteThe ban is largely due to legal issues, such as the Posse Comitatus Act of 1878, which prohibits the federal government from using the military for domestic law enforcement. U.S. forces don't routinely carry guns when they are not in combat or on military bases. And Pentagon officials are sensitive to any appearance of armed troops within the United States.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/22/navy-officer-murdered-marine-fired-back-at-chattanooga-gunman/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.