132-year-old Winchester rifle found against tree in Nevada national park

Started by steve58, January 15, 2015, 03:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Just sitting beneath a tree for 132 years.  Gotta wonder who left it and why...

The story of how it got there may never be known, but a rusting 132-year-old Winchester rifle -- known in U.S. lore as "the gun that won the West" -- was recently found resting against a juniper tree in a Nevada national park.

The gun, its stock split, gray and faded like driftwood, and its steel barrel rusted brown, blended in perfectly against the tree in a remote part of the Great Basin National Park until a National Parks Service employee spotted it.

An engraving on the gun marks it as a "Model 1873," and Andler said further research showed the serial number on the lower tang, or portion of the grip, matched up with records held at the Center for the West at the Cody Firearms Museum in Cody, Wyo. with a manufacture and shipping date of 1882, Andler said. According to Morgan, Utah-based Winchester Repeating Arms, 720,610 of the rifles were manufactured between 1873 and 1916. In 1882 alone, more than 25,000 of the 1873 models were made.

The gun sold for $50 when they first came out -- nearly $1,000 in today's dollars. By 1882, they were selling for half that price and touted as an accessible "everyman's" rifle.

The discovery was enough to fire imaginations about the fate of the gun's owner. An article on Winchester's website offered a few theories.

"Perhaps it belonged to a lone cowboy riding the high range," wrote Winchester publicist Scott Engen. "Perhaps it was set aside by a sourdough prospector in his search for a vein of rich ore. Whatever the actual story, it has the makings of a great campfire tale.

"Who left the rifle? When and why it was leaned against the tree? And, why was it never retrieved?" reads a post on the page.

The park's cultural resource staff is combing through old newspapers and family histories hoping to solve the mystery. But posters to the site had their own suspicions.

"No big mystery," wrote Kenneth Larson. "A hunter left it. Set it against the tree, took care of the deer, drug it or packed it out on a horse. Got to the bottom and realized he'd left the rifle and said screw it. Or went back and couldn't find it."

Park officials will exhibit the rifle before it is sent to conservators to stabilize the wood and apply museum conservation techniques to prevent further deterioration.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/15/132-year-old-winchester-rifle-found-propped-under-desert-tree/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

LongBlade

I saw that on the news earlier. Would love to hear that rifle talk.

Interesting cost comparison. In today's money it cost about $1000. That's about what a decent rifle will run today, too.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Which is the more likely option?

1.) Hunter kills large game, sets rifle aside in wilderness, dresses and packs game, gets far enough away before remembering he forgot rifle he can't find it again even though he's competent enough at long-range hunting and navigation to be out there in the first place.

2.) Hunter sets it aside to poop, gets turned into poop by a bear or cougar.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Too bad the government didn't require registration and licensing back then. If they had, mystery solved.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 19, 2015, 09:30:07 AM
Too bad the government didn't require registration and licensing back then. If they had, mystery solved.

Things would have been a lot different if they had required registration and licensing back then. But I imagine that in those days U.S. citizens wouldn't have allowed their rights to keep and bear arms to be infringed upon.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Greybriar on July 19, 2015, 02:27:12 PM

Things would have been a lot different if they had required registration and licensing back then. But I imagine that in those days U.S. citizens wouldn't have allowed their rights to keep and bear arms to be infringed upon.

You do realize I was being sarcastic?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Greybriar

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 20, 2015, 10:08:05 AM
Quote from: Greybriar on July 19, 2015, 02:27:12 PM

You do realize I was being sarcastic?

No.  :-[ I had been up all night and was very tired.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

I am as sarcastic as they come.  It's one of my great sorrows that sarcasm doesn't translate well to the written word.  It's gotten me in more trouble than I care to count.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob