Main Menu

Upgrading my PC

Started by Martok, April 28, 2012, 06:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

As my computer is now 5 years old, I'm using part of my tax refund to spiff up the old girl a little.  I'm not intending anything fancy, for the most part:  All I'm doing for sure is replacing a couple fans, and adding 2 more Gigs of memory (to my current 2 Gigs).  Very modest. 

Except...  I'm wondering if it would also be worthwhile to upgrade my processor.  I currently have a dual-core, but have been considering moving up to a quad-core.  Given that I play mostly strategy games, is this something that would be worth doing? 

Also, I'm thinking -- only thinking, mind you! -- about finally ditching XP and getting Windows 7.  I'm extremely wary of doing so, as I've heard about folks having major problems getting older games to run (STW, MTW, and my beloved BOTF all immediately come to mind) -- but I know I can't stay on XP forever, and everything I've seen for Windows 8 thus far gives me the impression I ought to give it a pass (and I'll burn in hell before picking up Vista).  So do I upgrade yet?  Or do I wait for Windows 9 in a few years? 

Advice and opinions are welcome and appreciated! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Shelldrake

Congrats on the income tax refund Martok...I ended up writing the government another cheque. :(

Before you upgrade your cpu you need to find out whether your mainboard supports quad core processors. If it does I would recommend the upgrade, especially if you can maintain the same or better speed in cpu cycles. You will also benefit from improved cpu architecture which equals better performance and better multitasking. I went from a dual core AMD cpu to a quad core and really noticed the difference. However, if your gpu is also 5 years old you might get better bang for your buck with a gpu upgrade.

Microsoft plans to continue XP support until April 2014 so you still have time to consider the move to windows 7, assuming that retail copies will continue to be available once windows 8 is released later this year. BOTF runs fine on my windows 7 netbook and laptop. I don't know firsthand about STW and MTW but understand that the issue is with dx11.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

Thanks Shelldrake; much appreciated.  Since I'm woefully ignorant when it comes to PC's, though, I need to ask a couple clarifying questions: 

1.)  Does mainboard = motherboard?  And in either case, how do I find out if it supports quad-core processors? 

2.)  What's my gpu?  (Yes, I'm that dumb!) 

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 28, 2012, 07:37:39 AM
Microsoft plans to continue XP support until April 2014 so you still have time to consider the move to windows 7, assuming that retail copies will continue to be available once windows 8 is released later this year. BOTF runs fine on my windows 7 netbook and laptop. I don't know firsthand about STW and MTW but understand that the issue is with dx11.
Ah, I was not aware support for XP had been extended to 2014.  At one point, I remember reading Microsoft was going to terminate XP support *this* year, so my thinking was still locked in on that.  Thanks for the info! 

Yes, I've heard dx11 (and I think even dx10) give STW/MTW fits...to say nothing of their inability to play well with Nvidia video cards (which I also have to be careful of).  I really don't want to lose the ability to play those two games, so am still very torn.  Good to know, however, that at least BOTF runs well for you on Windows 7. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Staggerwing

If you can get a peek at your motherboard you may be able to see the model number and google it for specs. If not, you could start with the computer model number. If you want to post it here we could try to find out for you. As much detail as you can provide is recommended.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Well my machine was home-built (a friend helped me put it together), so I guess I'll have to check out the motherboard.  (For that matter, I'm guessing I could probably dig up my old NewEgg order and look it up that way too...) 

Staggerwing

That would be the way to go. The newegg page itself may have some info about processor options for your board. If not, then the manufacturer will probably have specs at their website. Browsing old reviews on line sometimes reveals interesting facts about a piece of hardware also.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Shelldrake

Martok, gpu = video card. :)

EDIT: Maybe keep your eyes open for a second hand laptop with XP to run STW and MTW when you do upgrade to Windows 7. You should be able to get one for a couple hundred max that should work nicely as long as it has a good dual core processor and an independent graphics card (stay away from integrated graphics).
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Martok

My motherboard

And while I'm at it, here's my current processor

Also, I meant to ask:  This is the RAM I currently have in my computer.  Am I going to want to stick with getting more DDR2 memory, or is there something better (yet still compatible)? 

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 29, 2012, 07:40:53 AM
Martok, gpu = video card. :)
Aha, thank you! 

In that case, I'm fine.  Slick Wilhelm kindly donated his "old" one to me, which is still an order of magnitude better than my old (old) video card. 

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 29, 2012, 07:40:53 AM
EDIT: Maybe keep your eyes open for a second hand laptop with XP to run STW and MTW when you do upgrade to Windows 7. You should be able to get one for a couple hundred max that should work nicely as long as it has a good dual core processor and an independent graphics card (stay away from integrated graphics).
[whining mode] But I don't *want* to get a laptop/second computer! [/whining mode]  :P 

Joking aside, I have considered the possibility, but remain reluctant.  Partly because I instinctively rebel at the thought of "needing" two computers, and partly because having a laptop would make it too easy for me to get hooked on always having a PC at my disposal.  I strongly dislike being a slave to that kind of...dependency. 

That being said, I realize that ultimately, I may have no choice.  Sooner or later, the OS, software, and hardware alike are going to advance to the point where at least some of my old games simply won't be able to run on them.  I guess I'm just trying to put off that evil day for as long as possible... 

Shelldrake

Since your motherboard has an am2 cpu socket you can't upgrade to a quad core. The fastest cpu that you can put in is an athlon x2 6400 @ 3200MhZ which would give you a nice boost in performance...if you can find one used since amd has disconinued the athlon x2 line. You probably will also need to update your motherboard bios.

Your other option is to upgrade mainboard, cpu and RAM with a combo deal but that will run you $200-$300 depending on what you choose. For example,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.876652 @$247 for 6-core cpu and mainboard
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148419 @$28 for 4GB DDR3 RAM

Dean Edell

Bison

If you still have your XP discs you could do a dual OS install, that would solve all your problems.

Martok

Quote from: Shelldrake on April 29, 2012, 06:49:39 PM
Your other option is to upgrade mainboard, cpu and RAM with a combo deal but that will run you $200-$300 depending on what you choose. For example,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.876652 @$247 for 6-core cpu and mainboard
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148419 @$28 for 4GB DDR3 RAM
Thanks again Shelldrake.  This sounds like it might be the overall better option, especially since I'm not wild about the idea of purchasing a used CPU (to say nothing of finding one in the first place).  And no, I don't mind paying that much. 

Quote from: Bison on April 29, 2012, 10:41:05 PM
If you still have your XP discs you could do a dual OS install, that would solve all your problems.
Yes, I still have my XP disc. 

Perhaps the more pertinent question -- since I already have XP installed as my OS -- is:  Can I do a dual install with Windows 7, but without needing to reinstall XP as well? 

And a secondary question:  How big is Windows 7?  I only have a 250 Gb hard drive (currently about half-full), and I have no idea how much of a consideration that might be. 

Bison

Well I'd consider getting a second harddrive.  One for XP and one for Win7.

Shelldrake

I was in the same position as you and did a mainboard, cpu and RAM upgrade. All went well but keep in mind that you may need to reinstall your XP operating system. I was fortunate and did not have to but YMMV. I recommend this article from Arstechnica.

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/09/how-to-install-a-new-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows.ars

Even if you don't decide on a dual boot OS it would still be a good idea to pick up a second hard drive if only for backup storage. A 500GB 7200 rpm drive will run you $80. I recommend cloning your OS onto the new drive and using your old drive as the backup unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136769

Dean Edell