a true Groghead ...collects a Panther

Started by MikeGER, July 03, 2015, 01:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

...and a famous 88 also  O0

and http://www.n-tv.de/panorama/Weltkriegspanzer-in-Ostsee-Villa-geborgen-article15433571.html (German language but also has a video after a forced 20 sec add)

a78 old man, living in a remote villa, near Kiel had a large 'illegal' collection of war memorabilia ....including a full blown original Panther! , who was in the past able to drive on his own power. the collector used it to help clearing a path through snow in the village once when there was a natural disaster , and drove it once a while on his large property.
he will see charges for 'possesion of weapons of war', but his lawyer says to the press: all weapons were demilitarized and not operational, the local villagers knew of the collection and stated he was never a threat 
the authorities had to ask the Bundeswehr to help with the transport, who showed up with several flatbed trucks and two actual armored recovery vehicles     

bob48

Awesome! Looks like its an Auf G as well.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

if youre doing what i did and before pressing play are wondering where the turret and gun is, thats not the tank on the still shot of the video!

MikeGER

a picture collection of the event: has several Panther and 88 views  :)

http://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/bilderserien/panorama/Kieler-hat-Weltkriegs-Panzer-im-Keller-article15436481.html

Barthheart

WOW! Those things are in mint condition!!!!!!  :o

W8taminute

How did the authorities eventually find out about the old man's collection?

How did the man acquire these vehicles?

Amazing story. 

The condition of these two specimens is amazing.  The man must have put a lot of love, sweat, and work into keeping these machines from the past in such great condition.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MikeGER

Quote from: W8taminute on July 03, 2015, 09:42:25 AM
1 How did the authorities eventually find out about the old man's collection?

2 How did the man acquire these vehicles?

1 he also collected art (sculptures) from that epoch and the authorities were looking for art pieces, that Nazis may have had stolen or bought(under pressure) and later -through several hands- ended up by privat collectors nowadays.

2 he bought the tank in 1977 in the UK, he could also provide a document from 2005 from a minor city or local county authority that had already declared the tank 'demilitarized'. So the prosecutor really went head over heels here.

people are saying he reallystretched it, and if the old man wins in the courtroom, the items had to be replaced to his private exposition hall on taxpayers expenses. :o
and it should have be enuf to just seal his privat 'subterrain exposition hall', with a simple police-seal (like a crime scene) and let the lawyers all sort it out instead of showing up with the two Büffel3 armored recovery vehicles, just so the prosecutor could made his point ...there was no "exigent circumstances"     

Cyrano

This is nonsensical overreach.  As Mike indicates, he's likely to get them all back and, although I know nothing of German law on this or any other matter, it would seem to me he'd have a claim for wrongful prosecution...can't imagine what the damages would be absent harm to the items themselves, but still...an apology would seem in order...

Perhaps it's perverse -- I've wondered as much -- but I have long marveled at the craft involved with the Panther particularly but German tank manufacture in general.  I find them more aesthetic and engaging than even some of the great German automobiles.  If I had the means and space you bet your life I'd have a Panther...fire than sumbitch up on the weekends...
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

OJsDad

Is the prosecutor from the US.  Sounds like the type of grand standing one would do here.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 03, 2015, 07:10:33 PM
that Panther is in mint condition!

New paint job? 

I bet he's having a coronary, worrying about them scratching his precious.

Boggit

Quote from: Nefaro on July 04, 2015, 01:55:17 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 03, 2015, 07:10:33 PM
that Panther is in mint condition!

New paint job? 

I bet he's having a coronary, worrying about them scratching his precious.
;D
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat