Time for a new GPS. What's your favorite?

Started by Ubercat, July 20, 2015, 11:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

Our 5+ year old Magellan Roadmate has seen better days and I don't think I trust it to get me to WBC again this year.

What has worked great for you guys?
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Staggerwing

I prop my 4g iPad on the dash and fire up the maps app.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

We have both a Garmin and a Tom Tom. They each have their pluses. The Garmin has a one time life time update fee that's nice as it updates every quarter. The Tom Tom has this nice feature when you approach an intersection or off ramp it shows you exactly which lanes to be in ahead of time.
The Tom Toms are generally less expensive but the first one I bought died right out of the package...

Whatever you get get at least a 5" screen.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Ubercat

Thanks, guys. I just ordered a Garmin nüvi® 2539LMT. Looks like it will be a significant improvement. This one is the sweet spot at 5" while our old one is only 4.7".  I figured that one of the 7" models would take more windshield area than I care to give up! As well as costing significantly more.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Ubercat

- Thomas Sowell

Arctic Blast

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on July 24, 2015, 07:20:51 PM
5!

6. The rest of you are screwed when Skynet takes over.

Good topic. I'm in the market for a GPS device, too.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.