Main Menu

New user.

Started by nht, September 25, 2015, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nht

Hi, I'm nht. I've gotten back into the hobby in the last year or so after being away for a decade or so. I used to be mostly into WWII grand strategy ("Third Reich" and "ETO" were my favorites), but I'm branching out a bit more these days into different genres and eras.

I'm especially interested in lesser-known subjects, and I've bought a lot of Perry Moore's games because I think he picks fascinating topics. Unfortunately, I've not actually played as many of his designs as I'd like, partly due to his notoriously bad rules and partly due to the hassle of putting together print and play games.

These days, I don't really have much room to actually set games up, so I mostly solo games on VASSAL.

I used to be a big computer gamer, too, and like everyone else, have played my fair share of "Panzer General" (and "Panzer Corps," and now "Order of Battle: Pacific"). I also went through a big "Europa Universalis/Victoria/Crusader Kings" phase (I've purchased every "Hearts of Iron" game, but it's never really grabbed me). These days I don't play PC games as much as I used to, since most of my time is spent on my Mac laptop. But I had a chance to hop on the PC desktop the other day and discovered "Valkyria Chronicles" -- I'm not really thrilled by the anime/fantasy elements in it, but the tactical system is actually quite fun.

Still, in my opinion nothing really beats a hex map covered with cardboard chits.

Anyways, I've visited this site on and off for a few months and  I've seen bayonetbrant post over at The Game Box, so I figured that I'd might as well register here too.

MetalDog

Welcome, nht!  Glad to have you with us.  The amount of hex and chit guys here is smallish, but, utterly devoted.  Feel free to look around some more.  Don't mind the occasional derailment though.  Kind of a tradition here.  It's baked right in.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

nht

Oh, I've seen plenty of thread de-railments over the years, and been the cause of a few myself. Null sweat ;)

MetalDog

You'll fit right in then :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Martok

Welcome to Grogheads, nht

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Wes

Welcome :)

I too returned about 7 years ago after a long trek through RPGs, computer and console games and finally full circle back to the roots.

The more the merrier :)
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

egg_salad

Another gameboxer!  Dude, I just started posting about a day ago...
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

bayonetbrant

Hey guys!  Welcome!

We've got a pretty devoted table-top gaming crowd, and many of them will cover ground beyond just hex-and-counter wargames to include different Euro-ish adventure type games, and some family tabletop games that will bring in spouses & kids, too. 
We just don't have as many of them in the forums as you have elsewhere  ???
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Happy to have you with us nht. You guys that like to do it on tabletops are a wild bunch aren't you?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

egg_salad

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 26, 2015, 01:26:53 PM
Happy to have you with us nht. You guys that like to do it on tabletops are a wild bunch aren't you?

All kinds of things you can do with tables.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Wes

Ok...that's f'ing scary...

Levitate, oh great black Emperor of Dune!
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.
    Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."  - Frank Herbert

Staggerwing

Welcome to the Monkey House.

I suspect that the two of you will fit in here nicely.  :coolsmiley:
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Wes

Thank you sir, you are very kind.
"I must not fear.
    Fear is the mind-killer.
    I will face my fear.