Main Menu

Started by eyebiter, May 15, 2012, 08:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyebiter

Barthheart

Bile Hussein, a pirate commander, said Tuesday the attack on Handulle village in the Mudug region of Somalia's central coastline will cause a setback to pirate operations.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05/15/eu-carries-out-first-air-strikes-on-somali-pirates/#ixzz1uwk4nxg6

If the press can find this jackhole (great pirate name - Bile) to get a quote from him, why can't someone put a bullet in his head????

mirth

I didn't realize that the EU had so sizeable a naval presence in the region. Sounds like the strike just carried out may have used Eurcopter Tiger's launched from a French amphibious assault ship.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MIGMaster

The Brits are also using their Apaches off the back of frigates now in some operations. Would be interesting to know the details.

mirth

Quote from: MIGMaster on May 15, 2012, 09:18:43 AM
The Brits are also using their Apaches off the back of frigates now in some operations. Would be interesting to know the details.

Yeah that is interesting. I wonder how much work it takes to 'navalize' them.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Gusington

This is awesome. Would make a great game, book or movie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

also posted over at GN.  feel free to chime in there, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

An article with a few more details-

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16228319

QuoteIn what is seen as a significant change in tactics, a single attack helicopter - the nationality of which is not yet known - launched air strikes against targets on the Somali shore overnight on Tuesday.

Gusington

What a lovely looking beach. Too bad it's in Hell.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MIGMaster

There was a game based on combating pirates with helos off an armed supply ship called KA-50 Hokum. You could also fly a Cobra and a MIL-8, I believe. It was published by Virgin Interactive and you could attack speed boats, other helos, pirate bases, etc.... I had a great time playing it. 

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ka-50-hokum/screenshots/gameShotId,464348/

Windigo

What the hell? Air assets finally getting utilized?

BTW why would this Bile douchebag tell the truth about how effective the strike was?  I call bullshit on the story's on the ground source.

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

MIGMaster

The whloe operation must have been studied for a while - you just don't hit sites in Somalia off the cuff. It would be great to hear some more of the operational details and if they are going to amp it up.

mirth

According to the articles, the EU just changed the rules-of-engagement to allow for hitting onshore targets last month. They also operate under a UN charter that limits the RoE.

From the commander of the EU-NAVFOR:

Quote"What I am commanding here is a constabulary operation, effectively it is a law enforcement action against a criminal act," he told Sky News.

I'm hoping they'll release some more details too. I'm all for them going after the pirates onshore.

Windigo

Quote from: mirth on May 15, 2012, 12:47:50 PM
According to the articles, the EU just changed the rules-of-engagement to allow for hitting onshore targets last month. They also operate under a UN charter that limits the RoE.

From the commander of the EU-NAVFOR:

Quote"What I am commanding here is a constabulary operation, effectively it is a law enforcement action against a criminal act," he told Sky News.

I'm hoping they'll release some more details too. I'm all for them going after the pirates onshore.

UN Rules???   SNAFU
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.