Winter driving in Texas

Started by besilarius, December 29, 2015, 04:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

Things in Texas are always a little different than anywhere else in the world.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

DoctorQuest

I guess snot IS different from snow. Why would you not use 4WD???
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Sir Slash

I'm thinking if it's 'snoting' outside, then I"ll just stay home.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

I'd prefer snow to snot any day.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on December 29, 2015, 04:51:01 PM
Things in Texas are always a little different than anywhere else in the world.

Not really.

Sun Tzu said:

QuoteIf you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

It would have been foolhardy to think that Texans are intimately familiar with icy conditions, which of course would be classified under: If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I don't remember the quote exactly but I think it was Winston Churchill who said: "If you assume everyone on the road is either incompetent or out to get you, things will work out fine."

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

It was my dad, who taught me to drive. He told me to expect every other road user to be an utter pillock.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Sir Slash

Can we say, "Pillock" here?  :P
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

LongBlade

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 30, 2015, 02:56:31 PM
Can we say, "Pillock" here?  :P

Of course. None of us Americans know what it means anyway.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

I first drove at 13 years old and since then the number of pillocks on the road has grown exponentially.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

bob48

Sadly, Pillockism is on the rise.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Gusington

^I begrudgingly agree :/ Pillocks everywhere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I think I used to work for one.  ???

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Gusington on December 30, 2015, 11:35:57 AM
I don't remember the quote exactly but I think it was Winston Churchill who said: "If you assume everyone on the road is either incompetent or out to get you, things will work out fine."

I took a defensive driving course way back when (thanks, Mom) and the State Trooper who taught the class basically started us off saying the same thing.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.