Facebook Won't Survive The Decade?

Started by LongBlade, May 24, 2012, 09:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

This guy has articulated a lot of reservations I had about Facebook's IPO, and why I didn't try to jump in on it at the launch.

He makes some very astute points.

http://www.wordtracker.com/blog/why-facebook-wont-survive-the-decade?utm_source=Subscribers&utm_campaign=296da3fa0f-Newsletter_153&utm_medium=email
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

I'm surprised that something else hasn't come along put Facebook in the back seat with Myspace.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 24, 2012, 09:39:54 AM
I'm surprised that something else hasn't come along put Facebook in the back seat with Myspace.

I use Facebook primarily for posting images that get fed to a Kodak digital picture viewer so my parents can keep up with the family.

I rarely use it for anything else.

Gusington

So should I not even bother putting up my own FB now?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: LongBlade on May 24, 2012, 09:43:52 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on May 24, 2012, 09:39:54 AM

I use Facebook primarily for posting images that get fed to a Kodak digital picture viewer so my parents can keep up with the family.

I rarely use it for anything else.

Windy's got me hooked on Avengers Alliance.  I also play FB poker from time to time.

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

I don't know what to tell you. FB can eat enormous sums of your time if you let it. Everyone and their dog seems to have a page. How useful it is, however, is questionable. We could probably discuss the issue at length, but in short, if it doesn't eat up too much time, it won't hurt to have a FB page. I'm not sure if it will help, but there ya go.

Gusington

Perhaps in the time I would allocate to putting up a FB page I can single handedly create the FB-killer.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

A couple days ago, I posted (I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) that while I believe social media is here to stay, I do believe that currently it's way over-valued. 

Facebook probably isn't going to die off, but I do believe its final state -- whatever it is -- will be far diminished from what it is now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Staggerwing

CNN  Newsfeed says there are a number of folks suing FB and Zuckerberg in relation to the stock release, alleging that they conspired to 'hide' info relevant to the stock's worth.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

spelk

Quote from: Gusington on May 24, 2012, 10:00:14 AM

I thought Google+ was where all the cool kids hang these days.. when I say "kids" I mean, old geeks. :)

spelk

Quote from: Martok on May 24, 2012, 06:43:31 PM
Facebook probably isn't going to die off, but I do believe its final state -- whatever it is -- will be far diminished from what it is now.

Like http://www.friendsreunited.com/ ?

spelk

My personal feelings on the matter is that FB is so badly put together. It's got pyramid sales at it's evil beating heart. I'd like to see it not so popular to be honest.

Centurion40

A couple days ago, I posted (I can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) that while I believe social media is here to stay, I do believe that currently it's way over-valued. 

I think that it will end-up being something used in the manner fashioned by LB; families staying in touch.  Something new will inevitably sweep the next generation of teenagers away.  But the current generation of teenagers and 20-somethings are using it to stay in touch with friends and family.

Centurion40

Quote from: spelk on May 24, 2012, 07:01:24 PM

Huh.

spelk

Quote from: Centurion40 on May 24, 2012, 08:29:49 PM
Quote from: spelk on May 24, 2012, 07:01:24 PM

Huh.

It might have been only big in the UK, I guess. It was very popular here for a time, long before the advent of Facebook. It was the only way at one time to find friends from school, and they grew very big, and then flopped spectacularly - probably around the time of Facebook coming onto the scene. Anyway, they've been trying to stay in the zone for years now, and hardly anyone uses them anymore.