Winter Is Coming

Started by mirth, June 29, 2016, 01:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Winter came for the NYPost decades ago.

That said I wonder what Breezy will do to prepare.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Wasn't it one of Cameron's Brexit predictions, along with the End of Days? :2funny:

Joking aside, plus cheap political point scoring... ::) Interesting post. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on June 29, 2016, 02:00:44 PM
That said I wonder what Breezy will do to prepare.

Cook up extra steaks and make lots of trips in his truck to generate enough carbon to offset the reduced solar activity.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

The new sharp decrease in sunspot activity (which I've known about for some time -- this guy's daily space-weather channel is pretty good) won't just reduce temperatures. (Note to be fair to manmade global warming proponents, this could be what is throwing off their expectations: mmglobwarm is still technically happening but won't kick back in until the sun fires up again.)

The truly cataclysmic problem is that our planet's magnetic shield is a right-angle generation of solar electromagnetic energy, so as the sun goes through a specially weak phase the shield drops. This is probably why the magnetic pole has been shifting super-fast in recent decades, indicative of a coming polar flip (the sun will more surely do one during the minimum which isn't a big deal for us, it happens pretty regularly); but the real problem isn't the polar flip despite it maybe screwing up migration patterns.

The real problem is that it'll take time for our magnetic field to recover to being an effective shield against solar flares once the sun starts up again. Or worse, the sun might throw a random one out even while it's still quiet and slam us while our magnetic field is at the weakest point before it even starts building up again.

The last time that happened, it literally fried a bunch of telegraph lines -- which was bad for national and international infrastructure but we didn't have much electricity other than for that yet, so it could be fixed pretty easily.

This time it'll be like a planet-wide electromagnetic pulse stronger than those set off by thermonuclear weapons above the atmosphere.

Instant fiery dark age.

:o

That isn't certain, but for a while our planet will be like someone running down the middle of the interstate in the middle of the night dressed like a ninja.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

No problems guys. I got you all covered here in Fla. Just hop in your chevys and head this way and we'll put you up for a stay. Maybe you all should go ahead and send you valuables down right now. So they won't, you know, get frozen. You don't want to get stuck standing in line at a frozen ATM do you?   O:-)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

I make it a point to always keep my valuables warm in winter. Thermal underwear helps...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: Staggerwing on June 29, 2016, 06:43:26 PM
I make it a point to always keep my valuables warm in winter. Thermal underwear helps...
Family jewels and all... ;)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

bob48

...or the last turkey in the butchers window.............
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!