I have cut the cable. Any recommendations on a good HD antenna?

Started by DoctorQuest, July 01, 2016, 01:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

MetalDog

^+1.  I live in the foothills.  About half an hour outside the broadcast city.  Really the only reason I would want one is to watch football.  I can get by without watching as I can follow online, but, it's not the same.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DoctorQuest

I looked at the FCC tower location website and the good news is we are VERY close to the towers for a number of local stations. The bad news is Fox and CW stations are about 16 miles away which explains the poor reception for those channels.

I should be good for my fill of the NFL and enough college games to keep me happy. I also use ESPN3 on the internet which is not tied to the cable company. That is really still the downside of cutting the cable right now. Too many networks are in bed with the cable companies. I think that is going to change over time but for the moment it can still bite you.

Consumer Reports had a decent article on HD antennas. The interesting thing was the best performers were not the most expensive. It was strictly indoor types and the caveat was that your location still has the biggest influence on signal quality.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2013/07/indoor-hdtv-antennas/index.htm

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

DQ - how are you getting ESPN3 w/o a cable subscription?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

I'm pretty sure that 3 is their computer platform.  Not sure there is an actual "ESPN3" on your cable system.

mirth

DoctorQuest

Quote from: MetalDog on July 03, 2016, 03:58:43 PM
I'm pretty sure that 3 is their computer platform.  Not sure there is an actual "ESPN3" on your cable system.

That is exactly what it is. It is the streaming platform for ESPN. I'm expecting ESPN to go the way of HBO at some point and tell the cable companies to go screw themselves. If ESPN had granular enough subscription services (I only want football for instance) I would consider it.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

CptHowdy

whos got time for tv with all these great games to play? :o

Staggerwing

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 03, 2016, 04:21:15 PM

That is exactly what it is. It is the streaming platform for ESPN. I'm expecting ESPN to go the way of HBO at some point and tell the cable companies to go screw themselves. If ESPN had granular enough subscription services (I only want football for instance) I would consider it.

The network winds are certainly blowing that way. CBS is already dipping it's toes in the streaming waters with CBS All Accesss, soon to be the home of the newest Star Trek series. The cable companies must be scrambling to find a backup business model to their Bundles of Want/Not-Want.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

Every time I log into ESPN3 from not-my-home-network it asks me to sign in w/ my cable company login info to verify that I have an account that should be able to access ESPN3
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 03, 2016, 08:16:42 PM

Every time I log into ESPN3 from not-my-home-network it asks me to sign in w/ my cable company login info to verify that I have an account that should be able to access ESPN3

Thereby proving, once and for all, that I truly have no idea what I am talking about.   ;D