Main Menu

Unusual Problem.

Started by Jarhead0331, August 27, 2016, 08:34:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 27, 2016, 08:34:21 AM
Frequently, when booting the computer, it will lock up on the motherboard graphic splash (the part where you can hit F11 to get to the boot menu, or del to get to bios). Other times it will hang at a blinking command prompt

Quote from: Dread Rlyeh on August 27, 2016, 05:05:47 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on August 27, 2016, 03:55:19 PM
I would think power or perhaps a heating issue? Have you got any software to detect how hot the system is (and your GPU) when running under load?
The issues with boot (appearing at the same time) are pretty strange though.  Heating issues shouldn't appear that soon (unless 0 heat sink contact?), though I certainly would check the temp of the cores and GPU as part of the diagnostics and especially during any load testing or GPU bench.
Good point
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

It absolutely sounds like a power supply that isn't able to keep up with your new video card's needs while it is under load.

I've seen that happen more than once, and those are the signs.  The BSODs & auto-restarts, especially while running games or movies for a bit, is a good indicator of a hardware-related issue of some sort.   Could also be your CPU overheating, while under load, but that usually doesn't happen until you've had the PC for years & stashed away in some location with poor air flow.  Could be a few things, but always check power supply first, after doing the driver dance.

Speaking of .. I would check one thing before spending money on a new power supply, if you haven't already:

Uninstall your video drivers, then completely wipe any remaining driver files with a 3rd party driver cleaner program.  Then install a fresh & newly downloaded set for your new vid card.  Best to be sure there isn't a stray driver file hanging around, still trying to operate your old video card's chipset with your new one.

This is one driver cleaner program you could use:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Edit:  If you end up needing a new power supply, remember to check the Amperage ratings for the 12v rails on it.  The higher the better, obviously.  Ya know.. aside from having the appropriate connectors (and #s of them) you need. 

Does the new vid card require two separate PCI-E power connectors?  Depending on PSU, they may use the same 12v rail thus dividing the current quite a bit.  So you'll want a good PSU with high-rated 12v Amps.

MikeGER

in addition to the discussed possible PSU problem

check if there is an update out for your mainboard, its possible that the 1080 is not carefree supported in the PCI E slots you used without a latest patch   

Jarhead0331

you guys are making my head spin. A lot of these proposed fixes are beyond anything I have ever dealt with on my own.

For what it is worth, the 1080 card requires an 8-pin plug from the power supply, but I only had a spare 6-pin and a 2-pin. After doing some quick research I looked to see if a 6+2 combo was acceptable and most sources I came across said it is the same thing. However, could this be part of the problem?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 29, 2016, 03:49:40 PM
you guys are making my head spin. A lot of these proposed fixes are beyond anything I have ever dealt with on my own.

For what it is worth, the 1080 card requires an 8-pin plug from the power supply, but I only had a spare 6-pin and a 2-pin. After doing some quick research I looked to see if a 6+2 combo was acceptable and most sources I came across said it is the same thing. However, could this be part of the problem?

You should know better than ask a bunch of geeks for help, JH.  :o

I think at the end of the day the consensus is to swap the old card back in, run for a bit and see if the issue goes away. If it does then at least you've identified the issue as the new card. I've never tried the 6+2 trick myself. It does make me wonder if that might be part of the problem.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Dread Rlyeh

Stay frosty (and alert)  :)  One definitive test you could do would be to swap back in the old card and see if it resolves both the boot and instability issues.  Kinda sucks, because given the timing it is probably the card (as in card change - card itself, power supply, bios, etc), but I like to rule stuff out if I can before diving down a rabbit hole that could cost me hours. 

If it is for sure the card you could run a GPU bench (like Heaven), and at full draw, if it is a PSU issue, I would expect problems would crop up right quick. 

edit:  got busy while typing this, DoctorQuest beat me to it.

panzerde

This sounds very much like a PSU issue. I concur that swapping the old card back in to test is the first thing to try.

I doubt that the split plug is the cause of the issue; as long as you're getting the necessary power it should be fine. The fact that you're seeing the issue at boot only reinforces the idea that this is somehow hardware related.

The other thing to check is BIOS and firmware updates. It is certainly possible that the 1080 requires a newer BIOS or some component (motherboard?) firmware than what you're running. I'd check the OEM websites to see if there are new versions, and if so, update.

It really does feel like a power supply to me, though.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

There are 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors and there are 4+4 CPU connectors for some motherboards (AMD iirc). 

The 4+4 CPU connector goes directly into the appropriate motherboard plug, whether using only a single 4-pin or both together, as needed. 

CPU power looks like this:

The PCI-E one plugs into the video card, of course.  It should be labelled on the connector, similar to the following pic, but may not be.  However, it should still be a 6+2.  Not sure if your specific video card requires TWO connectors plugged in - some require two separate 6/8 pin connectors.

PCI-E (aka Video Card) looks like this:

Either way, the connectors shouldn't be easily interchangeable since the individual pin molds should be shaped differently between the PCI-E plugs and the CPU plug.  Like trying to jam a square shape into a round hole if you are pushing in the wrong one, but I can't guarantee that'll stop someone from doing so.

GJK

Probably not related but possibly so I'll add to the thread.

I have a GTX760 that was acquired from a client.  He purchased a new system with a GTX760 and he would get these red squares that would appear while in Windows that would then lock up the OS or sometimes when he would boot, the Windows splash screen was screwy or it would just sit at the command prompt.  We RMA'd that card and they sent a replacement.  THAT card then did the exact same thing.  Client was done with the 760 and bought a 9xx series card (and it's working fine).  He gave me the 760 (the 2nd one).  I had it in one computer and would get the red square issues.  If I simply powered down and just pressed on the card, it would more than not boot up and run fine until the next reboot.  I've since moved that card to my current rig and that occurs very infrequently but every once in a while when I boot, I get the whacky Windows splash screen so I just power down immediately and press on the card and it almost always boots up normally.  A minor inconvenience now (it was much more fussy on my old (old!) rig). 

This thread discusses the issue and if you were to dig into Google about "Nvidia red squares" you'll see more posts about it. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2175928/gtx-760-red-blue-squares-crash.html
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

The 6+2 pin combo is fine in itself. I use one on my 1080 as well, but as mentioned above, if the PSU doesn't provide a stable current under demand from the videocard you'll get all kinds of weird issues.
Swap your old card back in and see if the problems persist. If they do not then it's either the 1080 (unlikely) which is faulty or you have a power supply problem.

If the problems do persist with the old card, then you might have damaged the mainboard (static electricity? damaged port?), OR your memory (RAM) is damaged (happens quickly due to static discharge when incorrectly installing new hardware) or there is a timing problem in your BIOS of the mainboard. You can try to reset it to defaults and see if this helps.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."