Falklands...2012!!!

Started by Jarhead0331, February 07, 2012, 05:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 11:24:42 AM
I don't know about the Falklands, but I want to say that GIF would be a great teaching tool for how the longbow was the medieval equivalent of the machine gun.

Good point. That momma don't play.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Windigo

@SoM Bitch.

that ain't no medeval style military longbow..... 
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 11:24:42 AM
I don't know about the Falklands, but I want to say that GIF would be a great teaching tool for how the longbow was the medieval equivalent of the machine gun.

She can also teach how to impressively drape melons.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Windigo on February 09, 2012, 12:44:33 PM
@SoM Bitch.

that ain't no medeval style military longbow.....

Looks like it to me... but this is getting way OT...

True, it uses plastic and isn't as curved, but she is shooting at very close range, compared to what they could fire. And it isn't so much the bow, but the firing technique. Although the longbow required a lot more pull to fire, they say they could shoot something like 20 arrows a minute or more.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bayonetbrant

though if the English deploy longbows to defend the Falklands, we're back on track!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 09, 2012, 01:57:08 PM
though if the English deploy longbows to defend the Falklands, we're back on track!

See, England + Longbow is still within the scope of a Falklands discussion. You just have to think outside the original box and on multiple levels of meaning.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Windigo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 01:58:11 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 09, 2012, 01:57:08 PM

See, England + Longbow is still within the scope of a Falklands discussion. You just have to think outside the original box and on multiple levels of meaning.

I would actually like Welsh longbowman.... much better tactics

spelk

Its a recurve bow in the animated GIF. Smaller and easier to pull than a traditional Longbow.

"A recurve bow has tips that curve away from the archer when the bow is strung. By definition, the difference between recurve and other bows is that the string touches a section of the limb when the bow is strung. A recurve bow stores more energy and delivers energy more efficiently than an equivalent straight-limbed bow, giving a greater amount of energy and hence speed, to the arrow. A recurve will permit a shorter bow than the simple straight limb bow for a given arrow energy and this form was often preferred by archers in environments where long weapons could be cumbersome, such as in brush and forest terrain, or while on horseback."

Dunno how well attack helicopters would do in the Falklands weather neither.  :)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: spelk on February 09, 2012, 02:41:07 PM
Its a recurve bow in the animated GIF. Smaller and easier to pull than a traditional Longbow.

"A recurve bow has tips that curve away from the archer when the bow is strung. By definition, the difference between recurve and other bows is that the string touches a section of the limb when the bow is strung. A recurve bow stores more energy and delivers energy more efficiently than an equivalent straight-limbed bow, giving a greater amount of energy and hence speed, to the arrow. A recurve will permit a shorter bow than the simple straight limb bow for a given arrow energy and this form was often preferred by archers in environments where long weapons could be cumbersome, such as in brush and forest terrain, or while on horseback."

Dunno how well attack helicopters would do in the Falklands weather neither.  :)

Ok Ok... geez...

But if you want to see the whole video (well worth doing it is awesome), go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

I used to know the difference in bows like you... but then I took an arrow to the knee.

- Stephen Colbert

- Stephen Colbert

Windigo

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 03:28:19 PM
Quote from: spelk on February 09, 2012, 02:41:07 PM

Ok Ok... geez...

But if you want to see the whole video (well worth doing it is awesome), go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o9RGnujlkI

I used to know the difference in bows like you... but then I took an arrow to the knee.

and you took it like a BOSS!

spelk

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 09, 2012, 03:28:19 PM
Ok Ok... geez...

Not trying to rag on you SOM!, just saw an opportunity to thrust forth some knowledge. I used to do some archery a year or two back, and I was shooting with a composite recurve - how I longed to be able to afford and use a proper longbow. It still remains a goal of mine, to do some clout archery with a longbow. One day.

Centurion40

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 09, 2012, 02:13:55 PM
ROFL

("Ruh-roh..")

Rmmmm... I rike my roffles wif maple syrup rand brueberries! Reheheheheheee.
Any time is a good time for pie.