Main Menu

New Internet Suite

Started by solops, December 19, 2016, 10:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solops

Any recommendations on security suites? I bailed on Norton and McAffee years ago because they became black boxes for idiots and they were hell to uninstall. I used ZoneAlarm for a while, but they kept cutting out features I liked. Currently I am using Bitdefender and AVG. However, BitDefender keeps pissing me off with non-functional web links, obnoxious pop-ups and poor support. AVG is just not as good as I'd like. The Kaspersky suites look OK, but I am loathe to buy a Russian-built AV suite, even if Trump is going to play the Russia card against China (a la Nixon playing the China card against the Russians). Norton and McAfee are U.S. BitDefender is Romanian. Can't remember the others. I know Avast and AVG are Czech and Avira is German and Panda is Spanish and ESET is Slovak, not that the source is a litmus test. The way things are done today, coding for anyone could be done anywhere. And there are probably back-doors all over my PC. I just want something to keep the garden-variety crooks and hacks out. I doubt if nation-states will be after me, unless it is part of a system-wide take-down.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

mirth

I've used Panda for the past couple years. It's been good.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Ubercat

I can't help you. I'm one of the idiots who uses Norton 360.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

solops

Quote from: Ubercat on December 20, 2016, 02:28:34 PM
I can't help you. I'm one of the idiots who uses Norton 360.

:) So do my parents. No offense intended, I was just REALLY frustrated by their interface decisions. I gave it up when they started taking some of the customization away, back in +/- 2003. I like a lot of control about when and how it runs and how it scans. Same for the firewall. As time has passed, all of the suites have reduced user control by varying degrees.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Grim.Reaper

I know it doesn't help since you indicated not having good luck with Bitdefender, but I have been using the Bitdefender suite for a few years now and have really had a great experience with it, especially compared to Norton which I previously used.  I haven't seen the issues you indicated, but maybe our configurations are different.  It has been very unobtrusive, light, and has not interfered with any of my games or software.  When I was looking at other suites in the past, I did try Kaspersky but it did not seem very stable at the time....recall a number of "blue screen" deaths" that were related to it so I stayed away.

I also pair my suite with Malware Bytes...having both have worked out well for me.

bbmike

If you use Windows 10 you don't need a security suite.
:2funny:  :DD
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

solops

I found a different route to get to the Bitdefender 2017 upgrade and installed it. It wiped out my desktop and graphic settings. After trying to 're-do' my desktop three times - it would not save between boots - I repaired BD2017. Now all is well... I hope. I guess I'll just renew BitDefender out of exhaustion.

Win10...yeah, I'm sticking with Win7 as long as I can.

Yskonyn

I am also using Norton 360. Apart from the odd false positive on executable files that need you to recover them, it has been a pretty good experience. The suite is silent and unintrusive to my daily computer use, but seems to do a fine job of protecting me hands-off.
I run Hitman Pro from time to time to catch any malware that might have slipped, but so far 0 threats in almost 3 years.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

chemkid

very satisfied with kaspersky anti virus here... everything else should be common sense.