Why Real Military Games are Different

Started by DicedT, February 08, 2012, 12:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Nice article.  I'm curious to see what the comments spawn.  I'm just waiting for the whole "I know what the Army needs better than you do" argument.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

jomni

The comments in the post assume that the military uses games to make them better at fighting.  But that's definitely not the point since they need to train with real weapons and equipment for this.
I think Computer training is there for the officers and NCO's to hone their tactics and management skills.   Most recruits will not be able to play these military training aids.

TheCommandTent

Very interesting article thanks for sharing.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

I was right, the comments are a typical internet cesspool.

I don't know why I even bother reading internet article comments anymore.  I keep thinking more and more that there should be a brainpower test to let people comment on such things, but we all know it'd never work.

I love this moronosaur
Quotelol exactly had to be the dumbest hook I've ever heard ruins his credibility

b/c your total lack of ability to express yourself in English provides such a withering commentary that I'm going to side with you over a respected and well-known journalist who's widely acknowledged as an expert in his field?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

DicedT

Quote from: Gusington on February 08, 2012, 10:20:49 AM
Anyone up for a game of Follow Me?
?
You serious, Gusington? I've got Lunsford's game. Can it be played over the 'Net?

Michael

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

I don't think the commercial version can.  I think the one they've got at West Point can run on a LAN, but I don't know about true online play.