Main Menu

Managing USB devices

Started by Jarhead0331, March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Ok...I've had it. There are so many God damn games that are unplayable unless I unplug nearly every one of my USB controllers and devices that loading up a different game in one sitting has become such a chore.

Is there some way to avoid or manage this? Some software that can keep games from getting confused or prioritize which controller is detected? Is there some order in which the devices need to be plugged in or specific ports for the device. I honestly don't know the difference between USB 3.0 or anything else.

In truth I have so many USB devices it's become pretty silly. Rudder pedals, HOTAS, wireless headphones, trackIR, VR Headset, gamepad controller, etc. it's so out of control...(see what I did there?)

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 08, 2017, 07:06:40 AMIs there some way to avoid or manage this?

play boardgames?  ;)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Ubercat

LoL, yeah. I already offered to play board games with him some time back.  :-"
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bbmike

I'm so glad we were able to help Jarhead.  ::)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

jamus34

Well, not really a help but buy a high quality hub.

At least then you only need to disconnect one cable instead of half a dozen.

I imagine there is a system way of re-configuring ports or something...but I would think unplugging 1 cable would be tres easier.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Anyone else have any suggestions on this problem? I did get a good hub and it has not solved the problem. I can't be the only one to have experienced this issue.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 29, 2017, 10:56:37 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions on this problem? I did get a good hub and it has not solved the problem. I can't be the only one to have experienced this issue.

Did the USB hub provide a decent amount of amperage?  It was powered, I'm assuming.

Some hardware can have problems running through USB hubs, though.  So you may end up having to figure out which ones work okay through the hub, and plug everything else directly in. 

Other than that, you check out PCI Express USB expansion cards .. if you have a free expansion slot & enough room to fit it onto your motherboard.  And your power supply's got the extra juice.

Such as:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS4NA7781

MikeGER

I keep the number of plugged-in USB devise to the minimum !

so no Gamecontroller, no TrackIR, no Joystick, if not really need for my upcoming game session

btw  i remember reports that TrackIR lifespan (heat in the cam electronics) ticks down when unnecessarily connected and chucking along, but maybe this goes back to TrackIR #IV  and #V is not effected

and esp. Gamecontroller and Joystick is often the bad combo

Maybe you make a list which games runs with which setup once you tested it  and -immersing wise- see it as checklist point to clear before getting the virtual plane or spaceship ready in the virtual hangar