20 million year old Antarctic Lake

Started by LongBlade, February 08, 2012, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

I find this incredibly interesting. But is anyone else slightly concerned that it's the Russians who are in charge of not contaminating this treasure?

QuoteAfter more than two decades of drilling in Antarctica, Russian scientists have reached the surface of a gigantic freshwater lake hidden under miles of ice for some 20 million years — a lake that may hold life from the distant past and clues to the search for life on other planets.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46309166/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.TzLvteScySo
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Hey if we can trust them to get our men to space why not trust them to do a little drilling into something that has had any exposure in 20 million years   :o

Makes perfect sense....
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Windigo

Quote from: SCDJ on February 08, 2012, 05:15:57 PM
Hey if we can trust them to get our men to space why not trust them to do a little drilling into something that has had any exposure in 20 million years   :o

Makes perfect sense....

Shhhh, Ameros are mighty sensitive about not having much of a space program anymore - they'd like to forget that.

BTW why are they giving Newt a bad time about wanting to establish a permanent colony on the Moon? Do they forget that idiots laughed at Columbus too?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

mirth

I just read about this in the NY times http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/09/world/europe/russian-scientists-bore-into-ancient-antarctic-lake.html?hp

I'm not to worried about the Russkis handling it. Who knows more about cold and ice than them? Maybe the Finns.

Least it's not the Norwegians. They have a kind of poor record with Antarctic expeditions
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Centurion40

We'll be able to buy & drink Premium 20 Million Year Old Bottled Water and 20 Million Year Old Lake Vodka in 6 months.
Any time is a good time for pie.

mirth

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 08, 2012, 08:07:07 PM
We'll be able to buy & drink Premium 20 Million Year Old Bottled Water and 20 Million Year Old Lake Vodka in 6 months.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

LongBlade

Indeed. It would be quite the shame to miss out on that opportunity.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: Centurion40 on February 08, 2012, 08:07:07 PM

Thats what I thought too.
Historic Lake Vodka
Aged 20 Million Years.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598